Easter Menu? Planning anything?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think we're at nine people, but it could go to 13. The kids aren't sure yet. Normally they have Easter dinner with her parents because it's "expected". We'll see. We always extend the invitation. Rick's mother has told us that she's no longer coming down to the house as it's too much for her to get into and out of the house now. It tires her out too much. But she did request that we bring dessert in for her. And a couple pickled eggs.  

As near as I can figure out, we're going with:

Apple-cider Baked Ham

Something with potatoes (leaning toward Potatoes with Bacon and Caramelized Onions. Or Delmonico Potatoes. Haven't decided which.)

Dried Corn (for Dear Richard)

Baked Pineapple (for Dear Richard....I'll have to at least double it because he'll want leftovers for himself)

7-Layer Salad

Red Beet Pickled Eggs

Sesame Onion Bread with Caramelized Onion Butter

I'm making two peanut butter pies, some cut-out Easter cookies, and those faux Lofthouse cookies from that recipe I found (it's become a standard here). My sister said she'd make mac and cheese; she'll bring the wine.

I'm going to make the cookies this weekend and throw them into the freezer; my niece said she's hoping to get home this weekend and if she does, we'll make them together.

I'll be making Hot Cross Buns this weekend and we'll take some out to Rick's mom....I know she's waiting for them, even if she hasn't said anything. 

What about you? Anything special for Easter? 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. It will be a typical Sunday at our house. DD is one of the pickiest eaters on Earth. I don't cook special meals for her. It's a lot of work for no payoff. It's also nearly impossible to impress her. Everything is OK or fine. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hmm I don't normally do anything for easter. But maybe this year I will. That ham sounds like a great idea. I will have to think about it. It's also the weekend I work so who knows if I will even be off?

As the wheels spin.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband and I don't celebrate Easter technically, but my mom does and she has requested us to be there and bring a side. She's already making ham and scalloped potatoes, and my sister is doing dessert, so I'm trying to decide what to make!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Easter isn't a big deal around here, but we'll have to do something with my mother or she sits around all day depressed. :sigh: Some years we go out for a non-traditional meal, like Mexican food. I have no desire to deal with overcrowded restaurants and people dressed in the Easter finest. I do have a spiral ham in the freezer, so I could always thaw it and cook it. I haven't decided yet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't celebrate but I probably will make a special dinner since Tom did grow up with it being a big deal. And it's an excuse to make a full meal.

I usually cook ham because we rarely eat it other times of the year. Plus, that means homemade split pea soup afterwards 
I'd love to find a fresh one instead of spiral but haven't seen any yet.

I'd do lamb, we both love it, but I don't eat it anymore so that means he doesn't either 

I'm sure I'll do the typical expected side dishes, maybe scalloped potatoes, green beans, buttermilk biscuits. Not sure about dessert. I'm not much of a baker so I'll just pick something up locally. The farm I get my market boxes from has amazingly good pies and we really like their rhubarb/strawberry.  It does not last long!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last year we had Easter dinner on Saturday so my Step-sister could leave at a decent time on Sunday to get home with her kids.  Then the rest of us had leftovers on Sunday. 

My Mom and I haven't talked about it yet.  They only eat some chicken/turkey and some fishes.  But Mom will cook other meat for the rest of us.  I've been wanting to cook a ham so I can make soup afterward.  I'm debating offering to cook one for Easter.  A veggie/spinach lasagna sounds really good too. 

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a lady who is hosting an Easter dinner at my apartment complex. So, I'm going to that. She's a chef at an Italian place here. There will be ham, scalloped potatoes, a vegetable and dessert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I love doing a ham and we always try to find a big one. That way, we have leftovers. Rick loves split pea soup; I'm not fond of it overall, but I will eat mine. I use both split peas and whole peas. Bags of whole peas are becoming difficult to find around here. I can find split peas anywhere; the whole peas, not so much. Last time I bought six bags, thinking it would see me through for a while. They're all gone. I may have to try Amazon.

And I also like to make either ham and green beans with potatoes or ham and bean soup. There's always ham salad for sandwiches. And Rick really likes his mom's creamed ham over toast points. It's not something that I really enjoy, but it's comfort food for him, so I always make it when we have extra ham.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking about making a ham but I probably won't. I'll ask DD if there's anything special she'd like but she'll likely say no. That's what she always says. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It will just be me and Artie for Easter. I am undecided on what to make for dinner. I want to make something, not too involved, and not have a ton of leftovers. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It will just be me and Artie for Easter. I am undecided on what to make for dinner. I want to make something, not too involved, and not have a ton of leftovers. 
Same here. I may make a turkey breast.  I can use the leftovers for turkey salad sandwiches and I can share the turkey with the furkids. 

Hugs to Artie as always 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Same here. I may make a turkey breast.  I can use the leftovers for turkey salad sandwiches and I can share the turkey with the furkids. 

Hugs to Artie as always 
thanks...

I do not car for turkey, so that is out. Chicken, I have every day, practically.....

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I need to work up a menu. We've decided to have my mother here for the meal. I have a spiral ham in the freezer, so I will be thawing that.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
nothing much~~ just picked up a small ham, for me.. will have ham with pineapple, either mashed potato or asparagus risotto, some horseradish, and a veggie.. or I could have my old fashioned comfort meal of kielbasa, mashed potato, and pickled beets~~~ have not had that for a couple of years. and of course some wine!! Gave it up for Lent..

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's going to be ham, kielbasa, hard boiled eggs (Yes, artiemom artiemom there is some Polish in me ;)) mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts and green beans. Yes, a lot for three of us, but I won't be surprised if by Sunday I end up with more. That tends to happen.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bone in ribeye steaks are on sale at Publix for $8.99/lb. I might get one for myself and share it with the kids. I have no idea what DD would have though. She's not a big steak person so maybe some shrimp or something for her if she does not want one. She does not like meat that's on the bone so maybe I can get her to eat a boneless one. I have some nice red potatoes. I think I'll make some potato salad and some green salad should be good. The kids will be happy to share my steak. We all like ours nice and rare. :D

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
AbbysMom AbbysMom 'some Polish in you".... ha!! only us Poles would have kielbasa for Easter.. Yes, if I make the ham, I will cook a piece of kielbasa along with it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I found an interesting ham recipe that I think we're going to try. You simmer the ham in water on Saturday, then bake it on Sunday. The glaze is maple syrup, ketchup, hot chili sauce, and balsamic vinegar. It's from Jacques Pepin. I don't know; it caught my interest and it calls for the shank end, which is what we have. (We're not sure how well it will go over with my BIL, who's kind of a snooty eater, so my sister said she'd make a small ham and bring it for him; that way, if he doesn't like mine, he'll eat what she brings.)

My BIL asked if I'd make scalloped potatoes and carrots with cheese sauce; he really loves that stuff. I need to make my pickled red beet eggs tonight. I may go ahead and make the peanut butter pies tonight, too, and stick them in the freezer.

Making the chocolate babka on Saturday instead of the Sesame Onion Bread. Shaping that puppy should really be interesting. I guess I should not post menus because they change.