Earwax as Cat Gets Older?

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all! At her 6th month checkup, my eldest, Miss SnapCat, had a lot of wax in her ears so she got her first ever ear cleaning at the age of 10 and we were sent home with some solution to drop and then rub her ears with so it didn't happen again.

I used the solution about a week ago as a preventative and I'm noticing wax buildup in her ears again. It seems odd that we went from never needing her ears cleaned to twice in a month. Could the liquid have caused the earwax buildup this time? One of those urban myths like "If you shave it'll come back harrier" but for earwax?

I feel a little silly asking this because it doesn't bother her, she still sort of answers if I chirp at her (she's a cat, after all, gotta not come every single time!), and she's otherwise a very happy and healthy kitty.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, have you had a chance to tell the vet the solution isn't working at all?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As my first kitty got older, she developed a yeast infection in her ears and also had allergies which caused her ear canal to be inflamed, which caused the ear wax to not drain properly and get clogged up.