Early stage renal failure. What to look out for/expect

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple weeks ago our sweet boy Pierre began urinating blood and vomiting. We brought him to the vet, who diagnosed a UTI and had us take a urine sample. The urine sample showed high glucose levels so we brought him back in for a blood test. The blood test confirmed that his kidneys are starting to fail.

Fortunately, the vet says that we caught it early enough that there is no immediate need for panic. We did have to put him on a special diet immediately and of course treat the UTI. After almost two weeks of treatment he seems back to his normal self.

I would love to hear from others with similar experiences about how we might expect this to progress and what sort of warning signs might indicate that things have taken a turn for the worse. We feel very lucky that we caught it when we did; if he hadn't got that UTI we might not have known until it had advanced much further. (This is why you always play it safe instead of sorry with your cats' health!)

He is a rescued stray so we don't know exactly how old he is but we think somewhere between 8 and 9.

Thanks for any input :lovecat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"ve had three kidney cats and never caught it early. With early stage, food change is all that is suggested, although I would highly recommend that you feed the wet version rather than the dry if you can.

That website referenced above is the best! I referred to it often. It can be overwhelming, but just read a little at a time untilyou feel comfortable with each section.

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Birman developed Chronic kidney disease. Initially, it was occasional UTI's, increasing difficulty with constipation, fuss eating habits. Agree with mrsgreenjeens, add wet food and add a bit of water to make it smooth/creamy to aid hydration is very helpful. I did Sub q fluids for 3 years, at first a couple times a week and gradually increased to daily for the last year. I asked myself often when it would be time for her help her cross, would I know the right time? It was clear when it was the right time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
caitini caitini , I wouldn't really be thinking about end stage at this point. Many cats live for years after diagnosis with CKD. Not all, but many. All three of mine lived for three years after diagnosis, and they were not in early stages when diagnosed.

Some signs to look for are constant withdrawal, refusing to eat, even treats, and pretty much sleeping all the time, or at least lethargy all the time. At least that's how it was for us. And as mentioned above, I truly believe you will know when the time has come. I always told mine I wouldn't let them suffer, all they needed to do is let me know when they were ready, and by golly, they did. I asked them if they were ready to leave me (I asked often, towards the end), and usually that would get them to eat, which I took as a sign as "not yet", but I also looked deeply into their eyes when I asked and one time for each the sign was there that they had had it and were ready to go. So I let them even though it broke my heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the information and especially for that site which is terrific!
It's very reassuring to hear what everyone has had to say.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lost two cats to CKD. The first lived for about 6 years after initial diagnosis, with no changes at all--and then a sudden crash.
The second one only lived for 2 years from initial diagnosis, and even SubQ fluids did not help at the end.

Both cats were rescues, but the second one was less healthy overall, and I suspect that's why he deteriorated so quickly, but it's really impossible to know.

As noted, Tanya's website is invaluable.