early spay/neuter

shalva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok I have a question..... I have found a couple ragdoll breeders, one in my state and one in Montreal.... I am leaning toward either a ragdoll or a brithish shorthair but I dont really see the temperment differences in the two breeds and am still trying to figure that out...... I may have to find a cat show to go to beore I really decide.

In either case both of the breeders that I have found do early spay/neuter on their kittens under the age of 12 weeks.... I breed Ch. Retrievers so am coming from a dog perspective here but I know that in dogs while shelters and such might do early s/n and rescue folks are big on early s/n.... many breeders prefer to have the dog reach sexual maturity before s/n and don't encourage our pet people to s/n early. Now I am not questioning neutering at all ..... what I am questioning is the when...... is early neutering as harmful in cats as it is in dogs???? what I have found in dogs is that there are some studies on small breeds that will say its no big deal but I have found lots and lots of empirical studies that cite increases in various cancers and other systemic problems in dogs s/n early. Is this true in cats as well????

I don't want an intact cat but I can't say that I am not nervous about s/n before 12 weeks of age..... and while of course it would make my life easier to have them s/n before coming home, I really want to do what is best for the kitty helath wise. I would appreciate any insight..... I really don't want the party line inforamtion that I can read on any shelter wesite what I really am looking for is the empirical data..... I do find it hard to believe that one can remove a bodily system and those hormones so young and not have medical impact later.... but I figured I would ask those of you in the know. I can tell yo uthat in my puppy contract nobody is allowed to s/n until after sexual maturity.

thanks for the insight.
S

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shalva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
has there been any information that you know of with regard to endocrine disorders or cancer?????
S

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shalva

has there been any information that you know of with regard to endocrine disorders or cancer?????
S
A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association found absolutely no increased risk of problems associated with pediatric spay/neuter.

I've seen it done on literally hundreds of kittens and dozens of puppies and have only seen one associated problem - a puppy who died after being spayed who, we later learned, had underlying health problems that would have made her a poor anesthesia risk even later on in her life. Kittens in particular recover amazingly quickly and are completely back to their normal antics pretty much as soon as they are awake. The challenge is actually keeping them from being too active and possibly tearing sutures!

A wise breeder will recognize that even if there might be a slightly increased risk of some problems with juvenile s/n (and as I said, there is no scientific evidence, for cats or for dogs that I am aware of), euthanasia due to overpopulation kills many, many more cats and dogs than these complications ever could. So pediatric spay/neuter is the best choice by far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shalva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well like I said I am not arguing s/n only the when.... in dogs there are numerous studies that discuss increased risks in several types of cancers as well as endocrine disorders..... I could go on and on.....and I have read the studies and have the citations..... like I said i am not arguing the necessity I only want to make sure of the when..... there is so much propaganda regarding this issue that it is hard to discern how much of it is fact and how much of it is people trying to convince people to spay/neuter for birth control reasons.

I have five intact dogs I have never had an accident happen.... I know that I can be responsible for the kitty and preventing accidents from happening until the spay/neuter happens I have always spayed or neutered closer to 7 or 8 mos. .... my concern is I dont want to increase risks for health problems due to early spay/neuter if I dont have to.... and that is my question.... the article above was very good with regard to urethral size in a male which is what I would like.... but I want to know about other longer term health concerns..... or have they not been studied..... nobody has to convince me to spay/neuter but I do want to read the studies that discuss the when and know that the when is appropriate.

I can't say that I am not concerned about that.
S

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I researched mammary cancer last year, I found an article that stated that cats are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first heat (and they can come into heat as early as 4 months). I also know a rescue that have been doing early s/n for about 14 years now and have only lost one dog (that had a heart prob anyway) - she kept one of the cats (male) and never had any probs with him.