Ear Troubles with cat

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat Kimmy has recently been very stinky, according to my wife. I personally don't have much of a sense of smell. I have done vet visits, flea meds, groomers, baths, everything. Today I noticed she had some gunk in and around her ear and noticed her one ear was very nasty. The other seemed fine.

I have posted pics, and I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Kimmy has been a lot less social and she is clearly in pain when I touch her ear.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't like you messing around with their ears. You could get a Q tip and soak it with half water, half peroxide and try cleaning it out, especially the outside folds. DO NOT go deeper then you can see, you will compact it down in the canal. I have also taken a Q tip and rolled it in some antibiotic salve and cleaned the ears with that, it seems to soothe them. Change the Q tip frequently, each one rolled in the antibiotic. I have one cat that has a draining ear that looks real similar, I just clean it out periodically. Has she been to a vet lately and had her temperature taken? she may need an oral antibiotic to clear it up or some ear drops. I get liquid and put it in some tuna juice or Hartz delectable lickable treats in the stew flavors, not bisque. I give all my medications that way, they never refuse.
PS I don't think it is ear mites, which can look real similar. That is what I thought my cat had too. but they are so contagious, it would have been in both ears by now.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to need a thorough cleaning by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will call the vet. Any idea what this could be? She does not react to her other ear being touched.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be anything from ear mites to a yeast infection to just ear wax build up. She could even have a little bit of a yeast infection. You can request an ear flush from the vet. I used to have the vet sedate my kitty to do this.