Ear Problem No Obv. Sign Of Infection

JeanieC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 yr old tabby, Tiger, has been shaking his head and pawing at his ear the past several days. Night before last, he woke me up crying and stomping around on the bed. Then again last night he woke up crying but then settled back down after a bit of petting. He sometimes holds his right ear back flat like it bothers him.

His ears look very clean and there’s no discharge or odor. My husband used witch hazel ear swabs a few days ago and it seemed to help at first with the head shake, but then last two nights he’s been restless and crying. He’s also started taking out his frustration on our other 2 cats.

Could there still be some infection we just aren’t able to see? As stated, his ears always look very clean and other cats have shown no symptoms, so I don’t think it is mites. Litter boxes get cleaned twice daily. Any thoughts? Should I break down smd schedule a trip to the vet?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd schedule a vet visit just to have him/her take a look. While we might have various ideas or home remedy ideas; each day you try something new and it doesn't end up working is another day your cat is frustrated with whatever is happening. Your vet should be able to narrow it down quicker and get you on the right treatment path sooner.

That said, there are a variety of infections that can cause ear problems. That the witch hazel did something makes me think it could be an infection. Which I would see the vet for if you go with that assumption. Just because it is so much quicker and more effective to do a full treatment of antibiotics or ear drops to get rid of it. While the witch hazel may slowly bite away at it with continued usage it could take a while and it might just go deeper which could cause more problems. Another idea is, I know people have mentioned ear problems with no visible mites being related to diet. So another route is changing diet to a novel protein (which just means a protein your cat hasn't had before) and see if there is any improvement. This would be the route if your vet finds no sign of infection or it turns out to be a yeast infection of sorts.

Please let us know how it goes.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could also be ear wax that is deep in the ear canal where you can't see it. You will need the vet to remove it. In any case, do take your cat to the vet to get the situation cleared up. It's bothering your cat more than you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would schedule the vet visit. Sometimes mites or lice can be a problem and you cant see them. It could also be a bacterial or fungal problem. My cat was scratching here ears, they looked clean, could not see any problems, and no smell. Vet did a swab test on her ears and she had a yeast infection. Vet gave us drops and cleared it up.
Good luck to her, and keep us updated!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could also be ear polyps as they can mimic as simple ear infections initially, but as they progress, symptoms become more pronounced. It can lead to deafness.

Your cat has shaking of the ears, pawing at the ear; something obviously bothering him. Ear polyps do this.

While you cannot see these from just looking, your vet can use a lighted magnifying tool to look on the inner wall of the ear where polyps grow.

I say this as someone whose cat had seriously infected polyps deep within the inner ear which required surgery.

I would schedule a vet visit as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeanieC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. We will be going to see his doc next week if he can’t get in tomorrow. I didn’t think about things like wax being too deep to see or polyps. I’d never forgive myself if I put it off when we could’ve prevented something by an early visit to the vet. I’ll follow up with news from the doctor. You guys are awesome! Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeanieC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tiger’s trip to the vet went well. He’s such a big boy. 6 years old, weighed in at 14.5 lbs. His carrier cracked and I felt bad for how cramped he was. Time to buy a new one! Doc did say he has an off-color wax deep in his right ear. The left was pristine and everything else about him is healthy as can be. He gave us ear drops to use twice daily for 7-10 days.

Thanks again for the advice. Little Suna says thanks too. She is just 2 years old but would probably pine herself to death if anything happened to Tiger. They are inseparable and suffer great anxiety if the other is gone more than a few minutes.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a pretty big boy! :) I am glad it is noting to serious with Tiger! We want him to be with you and little Suna for a long long time :) Im glad you updated us.