Ear Mites

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the cat suffers from it and she literaly throw herself on the ground screams and sctatches from discomfort to the blood. then she walks with obvious balance issue at times and also keeps her ears unevenly. not all the time, but she has these things almost daily and then I guess she just ignores it.
I watched home care and used olive oil that she hated. I pour some into her ear and then massage, then she run away from fear what I done to her. then she is all oily from that. then I tried coconut oil, but not doint that anymore since it's more solid. both of these things I tried about 3-5x weekly or even biweekly, I cant imagine doing it daily as recommended and she would run away for good. She also look at me with that look "how can you do that to me" type of gaze and kinda lost trust in me, because it probably caused more discomfort. also, I have noticed the oil left some sticky residue, but mites are obviously still there. then I read that olive oil can actually cause the mould infection which might be true because when she had small kittens I treated them too, since it was all coffee powder in their ears and 2 of them developed infection and I had to go to vet with it.
but back to this mom. recently I tried apple cider vinegar and in one ear she had the wound which I thought is dry, but I was wrong, she had such a pain from vinegar getting in contact with open wound that I thought she will die from intensive scratching she did after that. it was about 5 days since I did that stupid apple cider vinegar with dilluted in the same amount of mineral water (I then read distilled should be used, but didnt find out why). so 1 apple vinegar and 1 mineral water ratio, and she still screams from pain for a moment and scratches her ears as she can't bear that pain/discomfort and I think her outer ears also got pinkish. could they inflame from the apple cider vinegar? Also, I think 1:1 might be strong as elswhere they recommended 4:1....nevertheless, I her open wound has to heal , but not sure it will, since it's ocurring daily...and now I am desperate and I can't go to Vet, so now I am desperate, because all these youtube videos recommend are Oils (olive, almond, mineral, coconut) but it doesnt help and cat thinks it's me who is doing all her discomfort and anytime I try to check her ears now she is running away in panic. there is another cat living here, and she too has ear mites, but she doesnt seem to care as much even tho she scratches too. and yes I treated them same, but they still have that and nothing helps. (I also think this mom cat might have some solid residue from oils and mites deeper in her canal and was thinking can I just use warm water or distilled one? (even tho, not sure why some websites recommend distilled water with apple vinegar, because never saw explanation or reason for that. anyhow, what can I do now? she is suffering

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry I said I tried 3-5 weekly, what I meant, I tried that 1x per week not 3x in a week. also I wasn't doing it sporadically. I did it even month apart or so, because she hates that. she suffers from it last 2-3 years possibly before too, but I didnt know that's why she was scratching her ear.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I have never had much luck with natural/home remedies for ear mites. Your kitty will probably need a Rx treatment prescribed by a veterinarian. As you noted, ear mites cause great discomfort to kitty and should be treated appropriately. I would be cautious about what is placed in the ear as you don’t want to cause more harm than good. Good luck at conquering the mites!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with BlackCatOp BlackCatOp . You are not resolving the issue with what you have been doing. If nothing else, take a swab of the mites/gunk to a vet and ask for confirmation of what it is and if they will prescribe proper medications for it. Otherwise, they need to be seen by a vet and properly treated. A long term issue with mites that is not taken care of can lead to deafness in cats - but, before that happens they cause infections and pain. Blood filled pockets occur when left untreated, thickening of the affected tissue - not to mention severe infection - all of which can lead to damage of the ear/ear canal.

DHall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If one more voice is needed, I’ll add mine. Ear mites must be medically treated. The vet will have the correct medication. Some flea medications will also help with ear mites, but it also must be obtained from the vet.

If she’s tearing her ears up, a cone may also be helpful.