ear mites again. - cat has oil discharge

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok so the cat has 8 weeks old kittens currently, and she suffers from ear ermites. I will go to veterinarian next week, however can I use almond oil to give her some relief? I treated her with it before, it seemed it helped for some time but then it reappeared. now, the mites inside the ear canal seem oily tho. I saw videos of few veterinarians using almond/olive oil. one lady mentioned her cat developed bacterial infection after olive oil. can it be because she used the average live oil instead of virgin one that is naturally richer in antioxidants? I am asking about olive even tho I have almond on hand which seems to be better. I know I should go to vet, but it's not always possible and I wanna give her some relief now. previously couple of her kittens had bacterial ear problem, and they had obvious mucus coming off ears and it looked different, and was treated by veterinarian, but mom cat has oily brown discharge deep in the ear canal and it seems it's from ear mites

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2824.jpg

this is how it looks like. from look of it it doesnt look like infection right? should I try that oil again?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When as the last time you used oil before taking that picture? If not recently, then I dn't think the issue is mites. At least not that's I've ever seen (in picture anyway, I've never actually had a cat with them). Everything I've seen and read about says it would be a black "crusty" build-up and I'm not seeing "crusty" here.

Here is a thread that has other threads referenced within that might be helpful. https://thecatsite.com/threads/ear-wax-buildup.414511/#post-5169783 BTW, if it IS mites, I would think all the kittens would have them too, as they. Do they? You didn't mentioned that, which is another reason I don't think that's the issue. But something is definitely going on. You'll see if you read the threads that black can mean bacteria exposed to air.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just plain rubbing alcohol can also kill ear mites.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would use a cotton ball with a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it to clean the ears. Don't use a q-tip. It could be that she actually has a yeast infection in her ears, not mites. I'm glad you're taking her to the vet.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
d
ok so the cat has 8 weeks old kittens currently, and she suffers from ear ermites. I will go to veterinarian next week, however can I use almond oil to give her some relief? I treated her with it before, it seemed it helped for some time but then it reappeared. now, the mites inside the ear canal seem oily tho. I saw videos of few veterinarians using almond/olive oil. one lady mentioned her cat developed bacterial infection after olive oil. can it be because she used the average live oil instead of virgin one that is naturally richer in antioxidants? I am asking about olive even tho I have almond on hand which seems to be better. I know I should go to vet, but it's not always possible and I wanna give her some relief now. previously couple of her kittens had bacterial ear problem, and they had obvious mucus coming off ears and it looked different, and was treated by veterinarian, but mom cat has oily brown discharge deep in the ear canal and it seems it's from ear mites
do you have an update on what this turned out to be when you went to the vet?