Ear Mite Treatment

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My 10 year old cat seems to have ear mites and he’s got them before so we got him ear mite drops. The problem is that he’s very fidgety and quick so we’re having a really hard time trying to get the drops in his ears. He always either runs away or digs his claws into furniture or just goes under the couch so we can’t get him. I was wondering if anyone of you have experience with a similar cat and if you figured out a way to keep him to stay in place and let us put the ear drops in without this much trouble. Thank you guys in advance for your help!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When one of my previous cats got a bad case of ear mites, the vet used revolution. Its applied between the shoulder blades.

But i usually feed my cats to get them used to eye drops. Itll probably work with ear drops too. I have a bag. When they get inside the bag, they get a treat. Then they get a treat after each drop. After a couple of days, I can give them drops without using the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HOBWL7C/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

Once they start associating the bag with food, theyll try to get inside on their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm that’s pretty good! I might try to go see if they sell these bags at the pet store near me. How many days of treatment does it usually take? I caught the mites pretty early on with my cat so it hasn’t got too bad yet but I’m just really looking forward to when this will all be over. Thank you so much for your help

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat whose ears needed to be cleaned every 3 days to prevent buildup behind an inoperable polyp she had. Despite getting it every 3 days for years, she never got used to it and always hated it. But I found that the easiest way to get her to cooperate was to sit on the floor with her back to me, and both my legs on either side of her. That way she was surrounded on 3 sides to prevent escape, but she still had full view of the room so that she wouldn't feel trapped. She complained a lot, but at least relaxed enough to do the ear drops. I had to be quick, though, as her patience was limited.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would recommend Revolution or Advantage Multi. They are both medications you will need to get from a vet and they are applied as a liquid drop to the back. Depending on the severity of the infestation a single dose may do the trick but I would provably treat for a couple months just in case. Treatment is only applied once a month.

Additionally, ear infections are nearly always tag teaming ear mites so I would ask the vet to run cytology to see if he needs a different treatment for that.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm that’s pretty good! I might try to go see if they sell these bags at the pet store near me. How many days of treatment does it usually take? I caught the mites pretty early on with my cat so it hasn’t got too bad yet but I’m just really looking forward to when this will all be over. Thank you so much for your help
My Magic just got one dose, but i think you need to ask the vet cause it depends on how serious the infection is.

The trick with the bag is to get them to go inside on their own, so theyre not afraid of it. I usually hold a treat over their nose and have them follow it inside. Then i have them stay there and feed them a bit and let them out. Eventually theyll associate being in the bag with awesome food. I use dried squid.

Duchess now tries to squirm inside everytime she sees the bag :crackup: