Ear Mite Medicine?

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! So I've been using olive oil to treat my cats ear mites and after the vet did her slide, she agreed that the treatment is definitely working, (took two cats in recently and vet swabbed the first cats ears and found NO mites, swabbed the second cats ears and found 3 mites, but all 3 were dead) and told me to continue putting 3-5 drops in their ears once a week for a month. I'm just curious of what kind of over the counter/prescription meds you guys have tried with success, and which ones you've found ineffective. I spend a lot of time reading reviews before I purchase a product, and I've seen negative reviews on many over the counter ear mite products. I'm curious about whether or not the vet has an actual PRESCRIPTION med they'll write you, or whether they'll just sell me the same over the counter stuff I could get at walmart. Also, I'd really like to give their ears a DEEP cleaning, rather than just wiping the outer part of the ears, but I don't want to risk damaging their ears. How deep do you go when you clean your cats ears? I see the vet use the really long q-tips but don't know if I should be doing that...I'm assuming probably not since I'm not a vet. =/
I'm rambling, but any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use drops purchased from a pet shop. I put 2/3 drops in each ear, gently massage the base of the ear then use cotton wool or a clean cloth to wipe the inside of the ear. I wouldnt use a q-tip, you could go too deep and damage the ear.

20190817_195923.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've used the Johnson's drops in the past with good results, but if the olive oil is doing the trick...USE IT! And don't go deeper than you can get with a cotton ball. For deep cleaning, you need to see your vet. HOWEVER, once the mites are dead, the deeper "crud" should be able to start working its way out.