Ear infection?

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking at Misty's ears today and saw that he had little dark brownish spots scattered in the inner portion of both of his ears. I then looked at Marbles' ears. She didn't have any. Does Misty have ear mites or something? Please tell me!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like ear mites to me. Are the brown spots sort of waxy, and easily removed with a q-tip (don't stick the q-tip in her ear, though!)? The vet can clean out her ears properly and give BOTH cats medicine for the ear mites, as well as see them to know if that's for sure what it is. If one cat in your house has it, they both probably do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marbles902

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they're not waxy, they resemble pixels of rough dust, and I had trouble trying to scrape them off.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take your cat to the vet. It could be ear mites, it could be yeast, or it could be food allergies.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Left untreated, ear mites can lead to serious problems. I agree with Plebayo's advice - let the vet take a look.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat shaking their head alot or swiping at their ears?? I swab my cats ears out with a kleenex on my finger.