ear infection

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, one of my little ones has an ear infection. I took her to the vet today & they swabbed her ears & told me it was yeast. They did an ear wash with ph notix & then really cleaned both ears out. Before we went into the vet, I knew my baby was uncomfortable. Her ears are red & she would give me a little cry when I would just try to hold the ear back so I could take a look. I was sent home with a bottle of ph notix & Tresaderm. I was told to put the drops in her ears tonight & then twice a day. When I put the drops in her one ear, she cried. I don't know if it stings or what, but then after I managed to get a dose in, every time she would try to shake her head she cried. She is obviously in pain. I have nothing to give her & can only hope that the medicine helps her ears overnight so I can give the drops again in the am.

Does anyone have experience with Tresaderm like this? Does anyone know if it might sting their ears? She barely ever meows so it was really tearing me up inside knowing that I am causing her pain/discomfort. I rubbed her chin & her head & she then she laid down, so hopefully she can knock off for awhile.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her ears are probably somewhat raw and aggravated from the deep cleaning. Call in the morning and ask the vet if they can use BNT ear ointment. It's goopy and can be messy, but you don't have to put drops in ears and it doesn't really hurt. It's thick like vaseline and takes about 2 weeks for the body to absorb it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used Tresaderm several times and never had a reaction like that. Of course, it was not going in my ear and who am I to say that it does not sting, but I agree that her ears are sore from the cleaning. See if you can get something else, as was suggested.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As someone who used to do a lot of competitive swimming, and thus have had my fair share of ear infections, they can really ache quite a bit! I think it is more likely that the ear itself is very sore, regardless of treatment, due to the aggravation and inflammation of an ear infection. All the touching and rubbing while you medicate her could possibly be hurting what is already a sore area. However, you should persist with treatment regardless. Shaking her head is also normal after putting liquid in her ear, most animals react this way.

Perhaps you could discuss with your vet some mild pain relief, so the whole process is a little more comfortable for her?