Ear Help

Jessielou0724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just got my new kitten sisters. And one is still in hiding and I'm so worried but willow the one who is already spoiled has been doing weird things with her ear and today when I came home it's full of blood. She is going to the vet Wensdsy. And also how long will her sister Luna be in hiding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessielou0724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is willow...I'm just moving so she jumped in my trash box and was playing but you can kinda see her ear

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign: But I'm sorry to hear about Willow's ear. Glad you made a vet appointment for her this Wednesday. It's not unusual for a new kitty to hide. It may take some time for Luna to adjust and feel comfortable in her new surroundings. Be patient, talk to her softly, sit on the floor in the room where she is hiding and let her come to you. Even if she doesn't come out you can still talk to her in a reassuring voice. Please feel free to read some of the Articles on the forum for some helpful advice:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
Please keep us posted on Willow's progress and best of luck with Luna. :goodluck:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

Yeah, some cats can take a while to come out of hiding in a new home. This can be anywhere from a day to many weeks. Spend as much time as possible just being in the same room as they are and go about your everyday activities or listen to the radio, watch tv, read a book, etc. Talking softly to them will also help to reassure them. You could make phone calls next to them so that they get used to the sound of your voice.

As for her ear, she could really do with a collar to stop her scratching it. If she's already burst a blood vessel then continued scratching could cause serious damage. Ears bleed a lot, so the amount of blood is usual. Ears are extremely complex and delicate structures, and are easily inflamed and prone to ballooning. It is very good that you're seeing a vet tomorrow as she needs to be seen asap.

They might both have earmites, as these are more common in multicat households and amongst littermates. If they have earmites and have been allowed to be rehomed then I would suspect they've not been treated properly for other types of pests, namely: fleas, roundworm, and tapeworm. Be aware of this and possibly consider treatment.

:salam: