Ear Health Care

extier

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we first got Frodo, we were informed that he had a minor case of ear mites. We purchsed some Ear Cleaner with eucalyptol and treated him with it. He has long since stop scratching his ear and hasn't shown signs of ear mites. Question is... do we still use the Ear Cleaner on a regular basis as preventative action or is it unnecessary to do so?

He is awfully cranky when we do give him his ear treatments.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that whomever informed you that Frodo had a minor case of ear mites also tried to remedy the situation by cleaning the ear thoroughly. Is the ear cleaner you purchased from the vet? Many of the over-the-counter meds available for cats are unfortunately not the best to use.

When in doubt, it's always good to ask the vet. Give him/her a call and ask the question you posted here about whether you should use it as preventive action and if so, how often. My GUESS (and it's only a guess!) is that it doesn't prevent mites, only destroys them once the cat has them. If your cat goes outdoors, of course, he's at risk of a recurrence.

Run it by your vet who will know for sure, and please post back to let us know what was recommended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

extier

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the vet gave Frodo a clean bill of health.
No more ear treatments for Frodo.

Frodo's strictly an indoor cat, so I doubt he'll pick it up elsewhere again.