Ear drops nightmare!

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hyper:
Hi everyone. I’m having such a nightmare. My cat Kasper got diagnosed with a pretty standard bacterial ear infection. I got given drops to put in his ears, however he isn’t having it 😭
I’ve tried to do it while he is sleepy, gave him treats first and I have to administer them twice a day but I’m really struggling.
does anyone have any suggestions? He just moves his head or folds his ears over so I can’t put them in ☹

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - would your vet have a vet tech who might be able to stop by and help? You might check Rover .com, there might be someone there. If you go ahead and register, it is free and gives you a much better view of rates, reviews, skills etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - would your vet have a vet tech who might be able to stop by and help? You might check Rover .com, there might be someone there. If you go ahead and register, it is free and gives you a much better view of rates, reviews, skills etc.
I don’t think they offer that kinda service.
I was gonna call them tomorrow and explain that I’m struggling cus I don’t want him to suffer too long 🥺I’m trying to massage his ears to associate the feeling with good things and not bad.
I’ll check out that site!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a product that can be inserted into the cats ear as kind of a plug. It lasts for 2 weeks. What is the medication your cat is on?

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a product that can be inserted into the cats ear as kind of a plug. It lasts for 2 weeks. What is the medication your cat is on?
Oh I think I’ve read about that, but I think when I read about it it was for more severe Infections. But i could be wrong! I’ve attached a picture of his drops.

Attachments

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this helps but are you coming at your cat to administer them head-on or from the side or behind? Head-on might seem confrontational to your cat and make it worse but that's all I can think of unfortunately. I've been where you are and we just had to suffer through it, I never came up with a magic way of doing it. I hope you do!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't used that one. If the majority of the problem is ear mites, you might want to consider using a dose of Revolution ( the original not the Revolution Plus) provided you aren't already using a topical flea treatment. I have seen it used every two weeks for one month off label for ear mite infections. It works. You would have to talk to your vet about it. If ear mites are one of the problems in the ears, usually once the ear mites are gone, the other issues resolve.

I don't think there is any point to damaging your relationship with your cat and traumatizing the both of you to administer twice a day ear drops. It just isn't realistic.

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't used that one. If the majority of the problem is ear mites, you might want to consider using a dose of Revolution ( the original not the Revolution Plus) provided you aren't already using a topical flea treatment. I have seen it used every two weeks for one month off label for ear mite infections. It works. You would have to talk to your vet about it. If ear mites are one of the problems in the ears, usually once the ear mites are gone, the other issues resolve.

I don't think there is any point to damaging your relationship with your cat and traumatizing the both of you to administer twice a day ear drops. It just isn't realistic.
It’s not ear mites.
I has him at the vet yesterday and this was my prescribed drops so I need to administer them as I’ve been directed to. It’s like a bacterial ear infection he has.

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this helps but are you coming at your cat to administer them head-on or from the side or behind? Head-on might seem confrontational to your cat and make it worse but that's all I can think of unfortunately. I've been where you are and we just had to suffer through it, I never came up with a magic way of doing it. I hope you do!
I’m trying to come from behind, he doesn’t stress or run away but he like pulls his head away and like closes his ears 😅I try massage his ears and things to try and make him more used to touching his ears. Someone I know suggested making a cat burrito 🤣

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohh poor Kasper and poor you!! The burrito might be worth a try if you don't have someone at home to help you.

Have you looked at any videos for tips? Sometimes videos help and sometimes they frustrate me because they make it look so darn easy but they may have some tips.

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohh poor Kasper and poor you!! The burrito might be worth a try if you don't have someone at home to help you.

Have you looked at any videos for tips? Sometimes videos help and sometimes they frustrate me because they make it look so darn easy but they may have some tips.
I know poor little dude.
I was thinking I may try it. I’ve seen this method be used but you’re right they make it look so easy !🥴

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat started ear drops yesterday, they called Aurimic Ear Drops. I asked vet to demonstrate me first at the surgery. She did it from his back...
I managed today morning, but it was "traumatic". He was in his box, I covered him with a towel...but still he was moving his head and almost "closed" his ears in some way...I gave him massage...then the treats and then his favourite play time, so to distract him as much as possible...

Yesterday visit to the vet was really stressful as there were many animals and wonder waiting, as they were running late...
He was very unsettled and actually was scratching more after his first dose of ear drops...
Today morning he was severely distressed, sprinting fast through the house, scratching, so I gave him KalmAid gel...and he settled down...he is fast asleep now...

I have to give these drops twice a day...I feel almost cruel...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Managed to get it twice! Meaning his evening dose as well...I watched videos on how to do a towel wrap and it worked. I did this on a floor with my back supported by a wall and with my legs spread, so I had additional support...

I am only unsure if I manage to get the drops deep enough, as I think the vet inserted this deeper, but I do worry that I may hurt him...

Afterwards we have plenty of play, so he gets distracted...

SaraLouu90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Managed to get it twice! Meaning his evening dose as well...I watched videos on how to do a towel wrap and it worked. I did this on a floor with my back supported by a wall and with my legs spread, so I had additional support...

I am only unsure if I manage to get the drops deep enough, as I think the vet inserted this deeper, but I do worry that I may hurt him...

Afterwards we have plenty of play, so he gets distracted...
Im honestly still struggling. He wont let me towel wrap him, he won’t let me go near his ears. I’m getting super stressed I don’t know what to do :(

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry! :( Agreed definitely ask your vet. They may have some suggestions or an alternate med perhaps.

Have you tried Feliway spray on the towel and/or yourself before you give the drops? That's about the only other thing I think might help you.

Do you think the infection hurts his ears, and he is in pain, which is making him not want them to be touched in any way?

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im honestly still struggling. He wont let me towel wrap him, he won’t let me go near his ears. I’m getting super stressed I don’t know what to do :(
Sorry to hear this...

I have found that doing this on a floor helps. It is a bit of balancing between being a bit rough and gentle at the same time. As I do keep him flat on a floor, but kind of in a gentle way...
I have a biggest towel for this reason...
I use my hands but also secure his body with my knees on both sides, and I am back to the wall, so I am supported as well...

Today evening, he just let me to do this with no fighting! It made me so happy...

Also, I think that as he feels better, he is almost grateful, as he comes to me more often, just to be close...
I can see that he has been better...He has stopped shaking his head and appears more playful...

I still give him KalmAid gel...

After ear drops he gets his treats and we have his favourite play time...

Can you get back to your vet, as they will prescribe something else ...