Ear Cleaner?

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently I've noticed some ear wax buildup in my cat, Asti's, ear. He scratches at his ears and face occasionally now. I was wondering about recommendations of ear cleaning solutions or wipes? He's never had buildup until now so I'm not sure of any good ones. I'm also really afraid of damaging his ears so I wanted to go to a vet & have them teach me, but that just isn't feasible right now.. any tips?

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can get proper ear cleaners from many pet shops and they can give you advice too.

I cleaned all four of mine recently as they needed treatment for ear mites. I used warm (body temperature) olive oil with a syringe from the chemist. Just put a few drops in, massage the ears, and some time later give their ears a gentle wipe with a cotton ball or sterile pad.

I say just but I had reactions from acquiescence to a bit of wriggling to crying to having to wrap one up in my dressing gown; so it depends on your cat.

If this continues you will need to take him to the vet, however.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use water and a cotton swab to clean out visible ear wax. Don't probe the cotton swab into the ear. Just rub it around the visible parts of the ear. A cotton ball is a safer alternative if you don't want to risk probing too deep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. I will try it out. He has smaller ears so it's kind of hard to get in them. But there isn't a ton of build up or any redness so I don't think he'll need to go to the vet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I just use water and a cotton swab to clean out visible ear wax. Don't probe the cotton swab into the ear. Just rub it around the visible parts of the ear.
You took the words right out of my mouth, I do the exact same thing.  Great minds think alike!