E-tube Stress

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat somehow pulled out her e-tube today. That's the tube she has at the moment for feeding and medication. I don't know how it came out but I had a panic attack when I noticed it. Luckily I had a family member over and he took us straight up to the vet.
Do any of you have experience with e-tubes? We are using "kitty kollars" to keep the tube in place. Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats had one and he didn't manage to pull it out but it does happen. I don't know exactly what a kitty collar is. The vet actually put in a suture with a large loop that would hold it to his side when it wasn't being used. She then wrapped a gauze bandage around his neck and put stretchy material over that. There was a hole in all of it for the etube to come out.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe the excess tubing was too long? I just don't know because those Kitty kollars looks like just the ticket for keeping them in place. I know for certain that if we even need a feeding tube again, I'll be getting one! If your Vet didn't have any suggestions, maybe CALL the kitty kollar folks. They might have some ideas. I've heard their customer service is great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had one and he didn't manage to pull it out but it does happen. I don't know exactly what a kitty collar is. The vet actually put in a suture with a large loop that would hold it to his side when it wasn't being used. She then wrapped a gauze bandage around his neck and put stretchy material over that. There was a hole in all of it for the etube to come out.
Maybe the excess tubing was too long? I just don't know because those Kitty kollars looks like just the ticket for keeping them in place. I know for certain that if we even need a feeding tube again, I'll be getting one! If your Vet didn't have any suggestions, maybe CALL the kitty kollar folks. They might have some ideas. I've heard their customer service is great.
Thanks for the replies. denice denice kitty kollars are a brand of a soft, padded collar with a button hole in the side for the tube to come out. The tube is then held in place with some velcro. They're great because you can clean around the stoma site and you can wash them. They're kind of expensive though.

mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens That's a really good idea. I'm not in the USA where kitty kollars are based but I will send them an email. Really hoping this time the tube stays in. It has been sutred in a bit differently so fingers crossed that does the trick!