E collar?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rupert has a broken leg and had it repaired with a rod. He chewed at a suture and it came out, though the wound didn't open, thankfully. I called my vet and the suggested an e collar. I put it on him and..I don't think it's gonna work for us. He keeps throwing his head around and I'm afraid he's gonna hurt himself thrashing like this. I made sure it wasn't too tight. He's struggling to eat and he just all around hates it. He actually slipped it off as I was writing this. Are there any other options I could mention to my vet? Poor baby is already confined to a small cage, I feel like the cone is too much.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used a soft E-Collar when our girl had to have minor surgery on one of her feet. It worked quite well though I wish I'd bought two so I could have easily switched off while cleaning the other.

I liked this one because it could flip upward or downward. Down was good for when she was eating (tho I would take it off if I was in the room to monitor her).

SUNGROW Post-Surgery Dog & Cat Recovery Collar, Pink, Medium - Chewy.com

I've seen others like this - one looks like a lion's mane which is quite adorable

Also, it was comfortable for her to rest her head with it on which was important to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
For now I have cut down the outside rim so that it isn't so high so he can eat. I lined the cut plastic with electrical tape. I will be buying soft collars now.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
We used a soft E-Collar when our girl had to have minor surgery on one of her feet. It worked quite well though I wish I'd bought two so I could have easily switched off while cleaning the other.

I liked this one because it could flip upward or downward. Down was good for when she was eating (tho I would take it off if I was in the room to monitor her).

SUNGROW Post-Surgery Dog & Cat Recovery Collar, Pink, Medium - Chewy.com

I've seen others like this - one looks like a lion's mane which is quite adorable

Also, it was comfortable for her to rest her head with it on which was important to me.
I'm about to order these now. He'll just have to wear the hard one for now

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For now I have cut down the outside rim so that it isn't so high so he can eat. I lined the cut plastic with electrical tape. I will be buying soft collars now.
Worth trying for sure. Our girl had a cast pretty much on her entire leg for a couple of weeks. She had a wonky dewclaw that got infected and had to be removed.

Unless I was really watching her she had the collar on all the time. The 2nd day after surgery she started to rip the cast apart with her teeth - it's amazing how fast it started getting ruined so off to the vet we went for a more sturdy version.

Hope your boy will tolerate a different type. It was bad enough keeping ours more or less contained for 10 days. I can't imagine if her leg had to be pinned!

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worth trying for sure. Our girl had a cast pretty much on her entire leg for a couple of weeks. She had a wonky dewclaw that got infected and had to be removed.

Unless I was really watching her she had the collar on all the time. The 2nd day after surgery she started to rip the cast apart with her teeth - it's amazing how fast it started getting ruined so off to the vet we went for a more sturdy version.

Hope your boy will tolerate a different type. It was bad enough keeping ours more or less contained for 10 days. I can't imagine if her leg had to be pinned!
Six weeks. And he'll be confined in a small cage because he's 10 months old and not the brightest thing. Sorry to hear about what happened to your cat though, hope she recovered well.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Six weeks. And he'll be confined in a small cage because he's 10 months old and not the brightest thing. Sorry to hear about what happened to your cat though, hope she recovered well.
Yikes, 6 weeks. That's rough for you both :hugs:
I bet he'll be doing great by then though. It's amazing how they acclimate while healing. I thought for sure mine wouldn't be able to walk in the cast. Boy she fooled me. One day, I heard her jump up onto the bedroom furniture - scared me to death. But, she was fine LOL.
She healed really well and you'd never know anything happened now. I bet the same will happen for yours as well!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my Krista confined to a pen for two weeks on activity restriction after an ear surgery.

I recommend a soft collar. I also recommend taking off the collar when he eats.

My girl motoring about with her lamp shade (soft collar.)
View media item 423512