Dyson recommendations

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My trusty Dirt Devil all but died today. There is no suction even with a brand new filter. I always said that when it went, I would get a Dyson! So, I was wondering what models everyone used and how you like them. There are so many to choose from! This is a big decision/ purchase, and I want it to be the right one!

We have two short haired cats and two adults living in a 1,000 sq feet apartment fully carpeted except the kitchen and two bathrooms, but will be buying a house probably next year if that helps any.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're 2 adults and 3 cats living in a bit over 1000 sq ft, and we have the Ball Dyson, DC15, which we've had about 3 years now. They now have new Balls with the motor inside the ball so it's smaller which is nice.

Looks like there's 2 versions of the ball now - the smaller one doesn't seem to have the telescopic reach, which IMO is essential. I use it on stairs, to do the couches, and to get into corners.

There's some good sales going on now - I saw that Circuit City was selling Dyson's cheaper in their closing down sale.

I LOVE the ball - it's soooo easy to push around, get into corners, and under things.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also have the dyson Animal. I LOVE it! I love not having to spend money on bags and filters. I know all Dysons are bagless filterless, but I love it! We don't have the ball one, but it is still really easy to push arround.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an older model dc-14, wish I had the ball, but I love my dyson regardless!

I say shop around - I bought mine on eBay for more than $200 less than retail. It was reconditioned, but has never had any problems and works fantastic.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would never choose a Dyson of any kind. They don't work as well as claimed. At least they don't last long....and cost too much.

We have a nice Eureka which I can empty and clean the containers (no bags, etc.) and it does a great job (too good) on getting up our lab's hair! Cost us less then $50.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Personally I would never choose a Dyson of any kind. They don't work as well as claimed. and cost too much.
I'll have to beg to differ there i'm afraid. I had a pretty strong suction on my Electrolux that i thought did an excellent job, but when i vacuumed where i had just done with the Dyson it showed me just how much hair was still on the carpet.

No sorry, they may be expensive, but for me worth every penny spent!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Personally I would never choose a Dyson of any kind. They don't work as well as claimed. At least they don't last long....and cost too much.
I also have to disagree. The Dyson sucks up so much more than any other vacuum has, and everyone I know who has one has been thoroughly impressed. Ours is 3 years old, and we haven't had a problem with it
Yes, they are expensive, but I think it's money well spent.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

I also have the dyson Animal. I LOVE it! I love not having to spend money on bags and filters. I know all Dysons are bagless filterless, but I love it! We don't have the ball one, but it is still really easy to push arround.
That's not true. We have three dysons with filters.

Two of them are filters you need to replace and one has a rewashable one. Our first dyson is now my "kitty litter sucking pro" because it has all but died but the other two are really good. We're addicted to dysons and wouldn't have it ANY other way.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the Dyson Animal and it works great. Currently we have one cat, two adults, and one child in a 1900 sq ft house that is carpeted except the entryway, bathrooms, and kitchen.

We got our Dyson not too long after they came out, and we have never had anything go wrong with ours. It still works as well as when we first got it. I just have to make sure to cut the hair and stuff off the brush every once in a while. I heard that the ones made around the time ours was had a problem with stuff breaking on them, but Dyson has fixed that.

Ours has a filter, but it came with two of them and you just have to wash them off and you can reuse them. I love it!!

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had the Dyson Animal for probably 3 or 4 years now. Never had a problem with it, and I'm amazed at how much it pulls out of the carpet. It's expensive, but well worth it imo.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you guys have had good luck. But we went into a vacuum cleaner repair shop (looking for a Ryker - which is too high price for us). The guy was interested in selling Ryker, but he also had a LOT of Dysons in the shop waiting for repairs.

He showed us how "well" made the Dysons were - completely plastic and how the parts don't hold up. Granted he was a Ryker dealer, but if the Dyson's were all that great, why are they needing repairs on them within a few months or years?

Just going by my experience and personal preference. I would not choose to buy a Dyson.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time one of our Dyson's needed repairs was when WE [the vaccuum cleaner] and I fell down our stair case together and then again it was only home repairs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently bidding on a brand new Dyson Animal....I refuse to pay equal to or more than the stores (including shipping)....if I don't win/ don't like the price, then its off to Sears I go! I'm so excited!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad you guys have had good luck. But we went into a vacuum cleaner repair shop (looking for a Ryker - which is too high price for us). The guy was interested in selling Ryker, but he also had a LOT of Dysons in the shop waiting for repairs.

He showed us how "well" made the Dysons were - completely plastic and how the parts don't hold up. Granted he was a Ryker dealer, but if the Dyson's were all that great, why are they needing repairs on them within a few months or years?

Just going by my experience and personal preference. I would not choose to buy a Dyson.
How long ago was that? Just curious b/c I know when they first came out they had a lot of problems with parts breaking, specifically the telescoping hose. They have since fixed that problem and redesigned the hose, and don't have as many problems with it any more. You never know too HOW they were broken. As WellingtonCats said, it could very well have been that the owner broke something on it, not that the vacuum broke due to design. I have one of the earlier designs and have never had a problem with anything breaking. We've had our vacuum for close to 5 years I believe and it works like new.
The only thing I would change on ours is the color. LOL We got it from Sam's Club and it is a lovely glittery purple and teal. LOL I love the pink one they have now and want to buy it so bad, but can justify it when ours works perfectly fine.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love my Dyson. I have a throw rug and inlaid carpet on my stairs that I use it on, but I also use it on my hardwood floors, lamps and in any crevice I can fit the attachments in. I have never had any problems with it and it is by far the best vacuum I have ever used.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my Dyson and will never buy another brand of vacuum. I was a skeptic at first. I didn't think spending $400 or $500 on a vacuum was worth it. My fiance said they were the best, and when they had a special promo at his work, we snatched one up at much less than the regular price. We have the slim version, and it is the best. It picks up so much cat hair and dirt from the carpet, it's gross to see that much coming up from the rug. When it's time to get a new one, I can't wait to get the ball. Because of his work and the special prices he gets on them, we have also converted both of our mother's into loving Dysons.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kara - this was just last year. Some of the Dysons were almost brand new. Several of them were bought for churches and they found them to not be good enough to clean the carpets in church. And you know churches don't have a lot of traffic.