Dying Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My nephew had found a kitten (looks to be about 5 weeks old) from his way from school 4 days ago (Friday) and brought it to my house. He looked sick but was walking fine and had an appetite. I gave him both wet and dry food. I removed around 10 fleas on Friday, 10 more fleas Sunday, 7 fleas yesterday, and 4 today. The photo is from Friday. I took her to the vet and she has been giving the kitten 5mg of anti diarreah medicine called oversulf and 10mg of immunological. She also told me to giver her 10ml of hydration solution every half hour (that doesn't sound right). Anyways she woke up very weak. She could barely meow or stand up. She peed and pooped on herself without reacting. I can't really take her to the vets that I trust because of civil unrest in the country. I panicked and get her 15 ml of goat milk mixed with hydration mixture with a kitten bottle. I thought she was going to die as she was slowly fading away, turning cold, and eyes dilated. I rubbed her down and used my hands to keep her warm. I wrapped her in a cloth and put her next to a warm water bottle. I checked on her again in half an hour and she was still breathing. I put her on the floor and she was able to get up and walk towards the bottle. What can I do to keep her alive?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep her warm and hydrated. Offer food. Continue picking the fleas off. Keep her with you.

The kitten sounds very sick. I hope she makes it.

Get her to a vet as soon as you can safely do so.

Poor baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep her warm and hydrated. Offer food. Continue picking the fleas off. Keep her with you.

The kitten sounds very sick. I hope she makes it.

Get her to a vet as soon as you can safely do so.

Poor baby!
Thanks for the information. Do you recommend a certain amount of oz/ml per a certain amount of time? I had also purchased some dog/cat liquid vitamins should I add that to the goat milk/hydration mixture?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you know how much the kitten weighs?

Is the kitten taking warm fluids easily or not?

Last edited:

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know how much the kitten weighs?

Is the kitten taking warm fluids easily or not?
On friday she weighed less than 1lb. I gave her the mixture in room temperature which was around 79-81 degrees.

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just cleaned her cage, gave her 15ml of warmed goat milk. I've had to force the milk because she refuses. For the past 6 hours she hasn't blinked. I took her to the litter box and she had diarreah. She's now been able to walk again and walks towards the warm bottle. But like I mentioned, she won't blink and her eyes are dilated. She just lays there in the cage without blinking.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Drop the hydration solution on her eyes now and then, keep the eyes moisty this way.
The hydration solution is with just salts, right? No added glucose sugar?
A pedialyte is better, ie salts AND glucose sugar. Because glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested, and is taken in already from the mouth.

My advice would be, if you dont have glucose sugar / dextrose, you add some honey or white caro syrup to this hydration solution, so you get an ok pedialyte.
About a tea spoon honey in 150 ml (coffe cup) of water with salt.
If you happen to have real glucose sugar, you may give slightly more, because glucose sugar is less sweet than honey.

And use this.

Goats milk is normally good, but if she has stopped digestion - and its very probable the digestion has stopped now, when she is more or less dying. So the goats milk / kmr goes sour and rottens inside...

So, my proposal is, you just give the pedialyte, bought or home made... As much as she will take.

Pray and hope for the best. The chances arent good, but miracles happens, esp with such a good care you are doing your best to give.

I just cleaned her cage, gave her 15ml of warmed goat milk. I've had to force the milk because she refuses. For the past 6 hours she hasn't blinked. I took her to the litter box and she had diarreah. She's now been able to walk again and walks towards the warm bottle. But like I mentioned, she won't blink and her eyes are dilated. She just lays there in the cage without blinking.

ps. You seem to handle it excellently and are giving first rate home care.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with using only the unflavored pedialyte solution. And the water bottle is a good idea. No matter what happens, she is knowing love and comfort. Keeping her next to you as much as possible is good,too. I would love,love,love to have her make a good recovery and be a dear companion to your nephew. Please keep us posted on how things are going. :vibes::vibes::heartshape::angel:

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support. I kept checking on her at night she was alright. She was walking at 6am. Then 2 hours later she had another episode of diarreah and was weak. I tried to keep her warm but she passed away on my hands.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry to read your update. It was so kind of your your young nephew to bring this kitten to you and for you to try and save it. You did everything you could but it is still so painful to go through this.

The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge as an enduring testimony to this special little kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.