TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 No,  they are too vain.   They want to be admired for their own natural beauty.

Chatri says he already has LILAC points,  LAVENDER PINK paw pads, a MAGNOLIA WHITE body,  and periwinkle blue eyes.... so why does he need a dye job.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are they for real?

I've seen pictures like this before but I thought they'd been photo-shopped.

When will people learn cats are perfect the way they are!!!!

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen a poodle with heart-shaped patches of pink fur on him/her and I got so mad. People who do this do not need an animal, they need toys and dolls. And maybe some special counseling to help them have a better grasp of the concept of living with a pet. You love and you care for cat/dog the way he is, and he will never be pink or pikachu. I am just outraged by the way humans believe they have the right to mess with other beings. It doesn't even matter that the dye is natural or plant based. People stress the poor little being for what?! What is the purpose of this?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

No,  they are too vain.   They want to be admired for their own natural beauty.

Chatri says he already has LILAC points,  LAVENDER PINK paw pads, a MAGNOLIA WHITE body,  and periwinkle blue eyes.... so why does he need a dye job.
Your kitty is so adorable XD

Are they for real?

I've seen pictures like this before but I thought they'd been photo-shopped.

When will people learn cats are perfect the way they are!!!!
I thought it was photoshop for a while, and then I noticed people on FB dying their pets...

I have seen a poodle with heart-shaped patches of pink fur on him/her and I got so mad. People who do this do not need an animal, they need toys and dolls. And maybe some special counseling to help them have a better grasp of the concept of living with a pet. You love and you care for cat/dog the way he is, and he will never be pink or pikachu. I am just outraged by the way humans believe they have the right to mess with other beings. It doesn't even matter that the dye is natural or plant based. People stress the poor little being for what?! What is the purpose of this
I knew a girl in middle school who had her poodle dyed baby pink cos she loved the color pink and everything she owned was pink. I feel like people might be seeing their pets as an extention of themselves rather then what they really are.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I followed a woman down the street in NYC to get a photo of her walking her hot pink dog.  

But personally, I wouldn't do it.  I love the colors of my kitties coats as is.   Plus it's just silly.  I guess I'm not much into silly.

wildhoneybee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the souks in the Middle East I saw rabbits and baby chicks that were dyed different colours.  I just think it is wrong - and so sad - you just knew that the chicks would be thrown away as soon as their real feathers started coming through and they lost the colour of the dye.

And as far as I know - cats aren't keen on water so dying them which involves soaking them with water would just be cruel.

diegojames

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I just personally wouldn't do it. I think it's kind of weird! Why make your cat look like a fish? It's a cat!

paperwaffle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's a little silly, but I don't think you could call this "cruel" by any stretch of the imagination. It's not like the cat realizes it looks ridiculous.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't. Only because my respect for pets means that I won't do something they don't want to, and they have no say in having their coat dyed. Some people dress their animals up, and you can tell if the animal likes being dressed up. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't. Only because my respect for pets means that I won't do something they don't want to, and they have no say in having their coat dyed. Some people dress their animals up, and you can tell if the animal likes being dressed up. 
My kitty loves wearing bow ties and ties 
 She sits thier, lets me put it on and models them, makes sure everybody see her! Purposley shoves her neck in your face so you tell her she looks pretty

I think it's a little silly, but I don't think you could call this "cruel" by any stretch of the imagination. It's not like the cat realizes it looks ridiculous.
I agree with you haha

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Maybe not, but isn't it in the realm of possibility that it confuses the cat? She's been licking one color for years, and all of a sudden she's seeing another color.

At least with dressing up, they'll let you know immediately if they don't like it. 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would be a traumatic experience for the cat or kitten.  Blackberry doesn't even like for me to dry her fur (with a towel, not the blow dryer) when she comes in wet.  My babies are beautiful just the way they are.  

And Daisy, at least, is an extension of my personality.  She acts just like me, or I act just like her.  Anyway, we're basically the same creature in different bodies.  

paperwaffle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Maybe not, but isn't it in the realm of possibility that it confuses the cat? She's been licking one color for years, and all of a sudden she's seeing another color.
Ehh...that seems like a bit of a stretch. Cats don't see color with the same vibrancy that we do so it's hard to know how the change would even register for them. I guess it's possible, but I think everyone saying how "traumatizing" it would be to dye your cat is anthropomorphizing a little bit. Mildly confusing? Maybe. Cruel and unusual punishment? Nah.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I guess it's possible, but I think everyone saying how "traumatizing" it would be to dye your cat is anthropomorphizing a little bit. 
In a way, coat dying is also anthropomorphizing. Serves no purpose other than for the human who thinks the cat would like a facelift. I didn't say it would be traumatizing (if I were anthropomorphizing, I would be dying my cat because I like to color my hair); I am saying we don't know for sure if it would be, unlike dressing up, where the cat kinda has a choice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's cruel (no more cruel than a bath anyway :lol3:), and as long as it's non-toxic coloring I don't have any problem with people doing it. If I had a white dog I think I'd chalk him/her fairly often. . .:tongue2:. I do think it's a little silly but we're all entitled to our silliness now and then :D.

paperwaffle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Serves no purpose other than for the human who thinks the cat would like a facelift.
Hm, I kind of disagree with this - I don't thank anyone dyeing their cat thinks the cat has any feelings about it one way or another. It's 100% for the owner's amusement and since it doesn't hurt the cat, I'm all right with that.

I didn't mean to imply that you thought it was traumatic, just that others in this thread have said so. :) If you choose to be against dyeing because the cat doesn't have a choice, that's totally fair - I'm mostly just responding to the school of thought that this is the most horrible thing one could do to a cat, which I feel is a bit silly is all.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No I would not dye my cats' fur. Most cats are not crazy about getting wet, and if you look up the directions for dyeing a cat one of the steps is giving them a bath. If someone is forcing a cat that doesn't like baths to have one, I would consider that to be cruel. Yes this may not be as bad as fish that are sold in pet stores that have dye injected into them or are tattoed, but I still consider this a frivilous practice. Who knows there may be folks on here that are dyeing their cats, but this is something that I would never do to any of my pets.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ehh...that seems like a bit of a stretch. Cats don't see color with the same vibrancy that we do so it's hard to know how the change would even register for them. I guess it's possible, but I think everyone saying how "traumatizing" it would be to dye your cat is anthropomorphizing a little bit. Mildly confusing? Maybe. Cruel and unusual punishment? Nah.
I said it would be traumatic and maybe I used a stronger word than what I intended.  What I meant was (with my own cats in mind) the actual coloring process would be upsetting to them. I don't really think they would care once it was over and they were dry.  I think most cats or kittens would feel the same way (with possibly the exception of my sil's cats, who love baths and such).  My cats get upset by going to the vet, but that can't be avoided.  I just wouldn't want to put my cats through anything unless it was absolutely necessary.     

Last edited: