during a re-introduction, can i make the one locked up roam the house for 3 hours a day?

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, so i botched the new cat introduction, and we are going for a re-introduction, the plan is to separate them for a 8 days, locking the new cat in his room while letting the resident cat roam free, with no visual contact, but we can't stop the resident cat from getting close to his (new cat) door, but i'm thinking of letting the new cat roam the house for 3 hours a day and during that time I will lock the resident cat in my room

we tried room swapping before, ended up with the new cat leaving a brown smelly gift for the resident cat in her favorite spot

resident cat is 3.5 y, female, spayed, 3.1 kg and tough cookie
new cat is 2.5 y, male, neutered, 5.2 kg but a scaredy cat but will fight back, sometimes he piss himself which make resided cat very angry at him

thank you

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Part of the process of cat introductions is letting the new cat spend some time outside of their room, in order to leave their scent around the home for the resident cat to smell and get used to. So as long as the resident cat doesn't get stressed being in your room all that time, it sounds like a good idea.

How long have you had the new cat? And what went wrong in the initial introduction?

You mention 8 days keeping the new cat in his room, however, do keep in mind that each cat introduction is different, so the 8 days may not be long enough, or could be too long.

Have you read the TCS cat introduction articles. There's one on How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

Plus the main one: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have you had the new cat? And what went wrong in the initial introduction?

You mention 8 days keeping the new cat in his room, however, do keep in mind that each cat introduction is different, so the 8 days may not be long enough, or could be too long.
we had him for 44 days, he meet her after only 3 to 4 days of separation (i HATE myself for this terrible mistake), he saw her then went smelling around the room she got close to smell his tail he screamed, she smacked he smacked back, he was using claws while she wasn't. things got a bit better, she let her guard down and he could get close to her and bit her neck, she went ballistic on him and things went back to bad

later she started using claws after she got slightly bleeding scratches from him all over her, and give him his own slightly bleeding scratches later own, since then she would "guard" him, she's fine if he set in one place where she can keep an eye on him, if he leaves she follow, if her run she chases after, if she chases after him he freaks out.

last few days she seemed really better, she wouldn't mind him leaving her eyesight, it's during this time he started spraying. and lastly they fought after 2 days of not fighting and he pissed himself and we just couldn't keep this up. so here we are

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh... lots going on. Yeah, I think it's going to take a while, especially since there were actual fights. Plus the spaying. Eventually if you can set something up like stacked baby gates, so that they can see each other, but not touch more than paws, that might help.

Can you get Feliway there? Some people find it helps, but others not so much. It is pricey also, but maybe something to consider.

Here's another TCS article, on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... lots going on. Yeah, I think it's going to take a while, especially since there were actual fights. Plus the spaying. Eventually if you can set something up like stacked baby gates, so that they can see each other, but not touch more than paws, that might help.

Can you get Feliway there? Some people find it helps, but others not so much. It is pricey also, but maybe something to consider.

Here's another TCS article, on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
yeah, just yesterday I got beaphar calming diffuser in his (new cat) room, was hoping to get Feliway but it would've taken weeks to be delivered, I think beaphar working. and the house is too big with many open doors (with screens) and windows to use another for the resident cat.

and from the start I have been using Comfort Zone calming collars, no idea if they helped or not, and just changed them to Sentry calming collars

thanks for the guides