Duck Vital Essentials Calorie Q

Harborlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!

So my pain in the butt dude, Gambit, has had constant stomach issues lately and after a check up we have decided to go back to a duck diet. I would like to do Vital Essentials raw duck mini patties because they worked well before but I have a question about the calories and suggested feeding.

Gambit is about 14 lbs and healthy body comp, when I check how many calories to feed him it says 295, but the vital essentials says for a twelve lb cat to feed two patties which is only 120 cal. Bailey is on a diet (he is 15 and should be 10/11), restricted to 215.

If I'm feeding vital essentials patties with some NB LID dry duck (I have super late nights so some dry stays out those nights - also cost ya know), how many patties do I need to give?

Are 2 patties really enough for a 12 pound cat??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry you haven't gotten any response yet. You simply need to compute the number of calories you want to feed each cat, and then figure out how many calories are in the NB LID food you are feeding as well as how many calories are in the Vital Essentials and feed that amount. This will be difficult, if I am reading correctly, if you are free feeding on certain nights, as you won't know who is eating how how much of the NB LID food. Cats CAN go for 12 hours easily though without eating, so not sure you really need to do that. If each pattie is 60 calories, which is what I think you are saying, and Bailey needs 215 calories, then 3.5 patties would be 210 calories, correct? If you are questioning whether or not what Vital Essentials is telling you is correct, you might give them a call.

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From the package that we have at home each patty is 105kcal/patty and I’ve noticed that every site that sells it has a different calorie number 🙃

our 12lb boy gets 2.25/day which is/should be 236.25kcals.

for a 14 pounder you’d need 280ish calls which is like 2.5 patties.

ALSO something I’ve noticed since switching from kibble to (well tried to) canned to freeze dried raw is that my kitty boy seems much Leaner. Not like he’s lost weight per say but like he’s trim. Still has a primordial pouch but nothing else extra.