Duck + Giblets + Call of the Wild = Too much?

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am about to slice/dice/grind a deboned duck - I am processing it to put into individual servings for addition of Call of the Wild (premix supplement) when served.

The duck included the giblets - Call of the Wild has dehydrated chicken liver to provide the nutrients from a secreting organ.  My question is: if I added in the giblets as well - would that be too much...nutrition (?) from secreting organs once the Call of the Wild has been added?  Too unbalanced?

I can simply toss the giblets but that seems a terrible waste.  Leave them in - or leave out?  What I would do is throw them in the grinder with some of the other stuff.  I make my raw primarily in chunks with some ground.  I like how the ground holds it all together....and it would allow the ground giblets to be mixed in throughout the batch.

I do make the Dr. Pierson recipe...but have a weekend full of other cooking so need to get some raw ready in the freezer quick - running low!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd probably leave the liver out since COTW has it in it.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you mean giblets, do you mean a combination of heart, gizzards, and liver? Or just liver? Either way, COTW has liver in it so I would leave that out but gizzards and heart are considered muscle. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everything - the whole shebang....I think I see gizzards in there and a heart....

I think I see a liver in that mess of stuff The Boyfriend deboned!  Here's the thing...I emailed Wysong way back to get some clarification on how to use their Call of the Wild.  They tell you to add it to EVERYTHING...even their limited ingredient canned foods with liver already in them!

But I'll toss the liver....just in case....now where did I see that liver....

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to feed A LOT of liver to get to a point where you need to worry about vitamin A toxicity. For one batch of one duck, I would probably leave it in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to feed A LOT of liver to get to a point where you need to worry about vitamin A toxicity. For one batch of one duck, I would probably leave it in.
Glad you said that...after all that, I was distracted and send all the stuff destined for the grinder through.  Including the liver.  Oh well!