Dry skin & dandruff

mandycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine would like to do something about one of her cats who has bad dandruff. The cat is a short hair female about 10 yrs old. She is black & her fur is very dense. It is so thick that it is not easy at all to comb her.
She is an indoor kitty. Her diet is Science Diet Maintenance and Friskies canned.
Friend says she recently read in newspaper that giving Omega 3 and Olive Oil would help this.
Have any of you tried this (or anything else to do something about a dandruff problem?
Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Betty M

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there, yes, it probably would help, just be sure not to overdo it!, ou can also buy specially made treats that are good for the skin and coat condition, check in your local pet shop/superstore, they are bound to have some! Also there are lots of different kind of brushes you can use, try using a brushing mit instead of a comb....you might find it easier with her fur..... Hope that helps!

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using a supplement from Drs. Foster and Smith called VitaCoat or something like that (it was their brand, but I read the ingredients and it had BHT so I won't buy that kind again). It was this oily liquid you'd mix with the food. It had Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids in it. It worked wonders for my Satey's coat. I am sure you can find a simlar product at their website ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com )
Just go to "Cats" then use the box menu on the left side to find "Vitamins" There'll be a photo with "SUpplements for Skin and Coat"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. I'll pass on the information to my friend. Also think now that a Grooming Mitt would be a good Christmas Present to my friend & her kitty.

Thanks again

alszrx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet said to put a 1/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil on our kitten's food and this would help with his coat. It took about 4 days and we saw a conciderable difference. It will also help with hair balls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old/big is your kitten? My friend's cat is at least 10 yrs old & is a Hefty Girl. So am wondering if she should have more than 1/4 tsp. Thought maybe 1/2 tsp would be OK. What do you (or others) think?

Thanks

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For adults, usually the dose for any of the oils is 1 teaspoon.

alszrx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten is 6 1/2 months old and about 7 lbs. I called our vet back and our vet said to start at 1/4 teaspoon and the advance it a 1/4 teaspoon at a time until his stools become loose. I know one thing is for sure, Booda sure likes the taste of the veggie oil!:tounge2:

jojo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I substitute Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the veggie oil? I take the olive oil myself and Dani always comes close and watches me, sniffing the whole time. Do cats need antioxidants too?

I feed her Authority dry food (PetsMart brand) and Fancy Feast once in a while and her coat is very silky and shiny, even without brushing. Dani's black and a DSH (a classic halloween cat).

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well veggie oil is more for a laxative or to help pass a hairball. The fish oils or omega 3 fatty acids are geared twards the coat. They also have vitamins A, D and E in them.
Antioxidants are benificial but not essential for them to survive from what I have read and been told. I am not sure what ingredients are in Authority, so I am unsure of the nutritional value.

vjoy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Sorry I am not around.....I check in when I can. My father-in-law is worse, he is on dialysis now, ...uncertain future.

Anyway, my question is the Dani likes to lie on our vent/heat source. I am afraid she will dry out her skin.

Other than vegetable oil, is there anyother oil that works? How about cod liver oil? Do cats like that?

While I am here, another question. Dani has bad tearstains that I can't remove. I try warm water, that does not work. I tried "Four Paws Crystal Eye tear stain remover". It does nothing.

Can anyone suggest something to remove severe tear stains, and help her dry skin?

Thanks a lot.

Hope you all have a very happy holiday!

vjoy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Dani doesn't want anything to do with any of hte oils.

Hope she does not shrivel into a prune by Winter's end.

:::
::::

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that you can buy at Petsmart or order from their website. It's a nutritional skin and coat supplement for cats that contains vitamins A and E. It comes in a paste form, so you can just put some of it on one of Dani's front legs and she'll lick it off.

Earlier in the season, Snowball's skin became extremely dry because he was laying in front of a heating vent all the time also, and he won't have anything to do wiith any of the oils. His skin finally got so badly dried out that we noticed the roughness when we were petting him. I got some Nutrimalt and within two weeks of giving it daily, Snowball's skin showed major improvement and I was really impressed.

vjoy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lorie, I got the NutriMalt today. I smeared some on her paw, and she did lick it off.

So..... If she will let me do this everyday..... I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestion!