Dry Skin / cat pulling fur out

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I have not been on here in a while but I am looking for advice. My 12 year old DSH Audrey over the last 4-6 months has been loosing fur. I have some to the conclusion she is plucking it out herself from the base of her tail and the backs of her legs.  I have made sure there is no underlying issue with urinary issues or cleanliness.

She is pulling enough hair that she has some bald spots.

She also have dandruff issues and dry skin

I want to give her something natural but a topical treatment seems a bad idea because the other cat would be sniffing her and making her more stressed. If all else fails I will take her to the vet this is not an issue, but has anybody had luck with some sort of skin treatment for cats?

Also, a dietary supplement could be managed however she is rather "pudgy" and does not need more calories

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! Sorry you are going through this with your furbaby. I recently had the same problem as my 4 year old started getting bald spots on the insides of the back of his legs. His brother has now started as well which is just terrible. I took them to the vet and the vet said it was most likely due to flea allergies, as the legs and tail area are usually the spots they do this with when they have that particular allergy. I feel bad because they are red and inflamed too. The vet gave us a dose of steroid to try to help the inflammation but she recommended an immunosuppressant called Atopica for the long haul. I'm not a fan of something so drastic so I've been trying other means. 

Adding fish oils to their food (which they didn't love) so I switched to coconut oil and they love the taste. I can put it right on my fingers and they lick it off. I've read about adding quercetin to their diet but have not yet tried it. 

I'd love to hear if anyone else has had the same problems and what they've done to help solve it.

I'm super frustrated that they have to go through all this itching and biting their own fur off over a flea bite. 

Again, I don't know if that's the problem you're facing, there are a LOT of reasons why cats can go bald in spots. You should absolutely have her checked by the vet. Let me know how it turns out for you and your furbaby. Best wishes.