Dry Matter % Fat Canned Food

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeding Merrick canned Purfect Bistro canned - either rabbit or chicken plus some Limited Ingredient Turkey. The % dry matter fat runs between 36-38%. Fancy Feast Classics runs btw 31-33%. Is the Merrick too high to feed every day. Trying to eliminate the artificial color/flavor ingredients in Fancy Feast. The % protein in Fancy Feast is higher at over 50% where the Merrick runs 47-48%.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom gave you the link for the cat food Database, which i like to use when rating foods.

I also like the one i have linked below. Many cat foods have more fat than protein, its hard to find food the other way. I do feed some merrick, i normally feed the backcountry. But i also try to feed as many meals of Tiki cat which is higher protein than fat, Some of the Weruva foods have higher protein, and Almo nature complete foods, my cats are really liking the chicken and green beans and the chicken and carrots. some of the foods i feed have more protein, some more fat, i rotate around. I do try to keep the carbs low on all the foods i feed 15% or less, occasionally i will go to 20%. But the majority of the foods i feed have in the 0 to 10% carbs.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats have done exceptionally well on merrick. All the merrick pate foods are low carb ( I recently contacted the manufacturer and got actual dry matter values)and are reasonably priced. I’ve not had any problems with them at all. Hope that helps.