Dry food while on raw?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I feel like I've asked this or seen this thread, but I can't find it!

Since I'm working two jobs, the cats are going longer in between feedings 2-3x a week.They get fed twice a day (8am and 6pm) raw.

On the days (2-3 times a week) that I go in at 5 am, they get fed at 4 am.. and fed again around 7pm. This is too long in between their regular feedings. Since I come home for lunch, I'd like to give them some dry to keep them satisfied until their evening dinner.

Currently, they have Buffalo Blue Wilderness.. Duck I think. I give them ~1/4th of a cup each just to make them happy

I think I read somewhere that there's a better dry food to join with Raw feeding? Evo or something?

I don't want to feed them raw 3x a day on those days I work longer hours. I don't want to confuse them and have them expect me to give them raw for lunch every day when (if) I come home for lunch. I prefer to keep them twice a day on raw since it's working out well for us (both diet, satisfaction and financially)

On another topic.. I found a toy mouse tail in Cassie's feces. I think I need to stop giving her toys with strings! she eats them all!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the toy mouse tail, many people remove them for just that reason. :lol3:

....as to the food between meals, why not use a freeze dried raw, like S&C for cats or something? You can either leave it out, or put it in a timed-release feeder. :dk:

But yes, if feeding dry, you want a food that's low-carb, high protein, and EVO is one of those. Another is.... Wysong Epigen90.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks! I thought Evo is one.. I'll have to find a place around here that sells them.

Cassie doesn't like freeze-dried food. Monet does, but not Cassie. Oi.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no momma.... thats walking like a crab! You know, they walk backwards haha :lol3: the fear I have is them just wanting kibbles and not raw anymore.... That happens....:eek:
can you do anything else?
but yes, evo is the one for that.....

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Who are you calling a crab?! lol

I dont think I feed them enough dry to want them more than raw!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: You have very special kitties who KNOW they're carnivores though. :lol3: Some of these die-hard kibble addicts need just ONE piece of kibble to drive us insane! :eek:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wysong Epigen 90 would be my choice but I have also used EVO. There is also Ziwi Peak air dried raw. You could leave that out during the day. Just a small amount would do. You would have to see if they like it. I tried the Ziwi air dried. Only three of my six would happily eat it. I have better luck with the S&C freeze dried, so that is what I use now when I have to be gone for many hours. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: You have very special kitties who KNOW they're carnivores though. :lol3: Some of these die-hard kibble addicts need just ONE piece of kibble to drive us insane! :eek:
:rofl: OR even SMELL the kibble through sealed tupperware. :lol3: OR if it is within 1/2 mile of the house. :flail: NOPE - I WON"T EAT MY RAW, MOMMA. I SMELL KIBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, dont' get me wrong, they like their kibbles! Monet eats it gingerly.. as if to say "oh, okay, I'll eat it, only because I don't want Cassie to have it!"

Then again, Cassie chows down anything she enjoys. Her food-- raw, kibbles, treats.. she INHALES it. She doesn't chew and it's gone before Monet could even finish his first bite (At least he savors his food and eats it slowly). Because of her aggressive eating habits, I have to separate the two cats so she can't steal Monet's (and she even growls at him while he's still eating HIS food). It's cute, yet annoying at the same time. She snags her meat and dashes off before you even put the dish down. She'd even spin around like a hyper puppy begging for his food! (I really need to video this!)

Monet can't even leave his dish to eat in private (I know he enjoys going into the bathroom to eat) for fear of Cassie stealing his food. She has, and she will!

She gets excited over anything and will snag food before sniffing. She's done that with freeze-dried- grab it.. discover she doesn't like it and spits it back out. Heck, she's even grabbed items from my hand, thinking it's food, and spit it out when she realizes it's not food to eat. She's very food aggressive and hard to manage at times.

She also tries hard to steal a bite of my own food. She now learns she can't have any, and she'd sit really close, staring at my food.. and slowly, almost unnoticably, inches closer and closer.. so slowly.. then I'd push her to the floor. she knows it's MY food, but she tries.. especially if i have cheese!

Additionally, I will look into Ziwi. I've never heard of it. thanks! S&C Monet enjoys, but Cassie does not like. urps.

Last edited: