Dry food wet food ratio

Makowiec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So once again with a nutrition question....
I'm planning on feeding my kitten a mix of a dry (either kibble or Ziwipeak air dried) and wet food (Feline Natural)

How much of each should it be? I know moisture is important so I would like to do about 70% wet and 30% dry, but I still need to do the maths to see if I can afford it.
Also, if I do Ziwipeak as part of the meals, is that as dry as kibble? Or does it has more moisture and maybe I could do 50-50 ratio..?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ultimately it depends on what you can afford and what your cats will eat. My older cat who was used to eating kibble most of his life currently eats about 60% of his calories from wet and 40% with dry. It sounds like a lot but visually the dry takes up maybe 1/3 of his meal. My younger cat who can eat different wets no problem gets 80% wet calories and a tiny bit of dry. I do a mix due to cost and my older one's eating preferences. He enjoys drinking water so I'm not worried about his hydration. If your cat isn't a water drinker it might be worth it to feed more wet.

I hope someone else can answer your question about the ziwi peak dry! My dry is Dr. Elsey's chicken kibble.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten? They say kittens should have access to food at all times. I personally don't like leaving wet food outside though.

I think 70 - 30 is a good ratio but it doesn't go well with every cat. For example my adult cat doesn't eat more than two 80-85 grams wet food in total a day at most. And that's only in four meals, not less. She's been like this for years. She can't get enough calories from just two cans though, more like gets half of her calories from wet food so mine is more like 50-70% wet food, the rest dry food, depending on the day.

Dry food has their own risks but it can be easier to digest. One of the problems my cat has with wet food is it causes more gas in her - I believe from swallowing more air. I say this because if the kitten gets similar issues with wet food, you can also try to feed with more dry for the time then decrease the amount as they get older.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens should be free fed until they are about a year old so don't worry about how much canned and dry you feed. More canned is better.

Ziwi Peak is pricey for a little bag so it's not ideal to feed daily if you're on a budget.