Dry Food Samples?

Swellyellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know if there is a site where I can request a variety of cat food samples? My little guy refuses to eat dry food so I feed him primarily wet food. I know it is better for him and I will continue to feed him mostly wet food but sometimes he has to go 12 hours without eating when I’m at work. When I first got him he actually went 3 days without eating because I didn’t realize he only likes wet food. He would rather starve than touch dry food I leave out. I want to give him another option while im away. I’ve tried several brands but he just sniffs and walks away. I am tired of buying whole bags of food that he doesnt like. He is a 9 month old guy

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only dry food I've been able to get samples of are Wysong and Dr. Elsey's. If you have a local Independent pet store sometimes they get samples.

For Wysong they sent me a bunch for $2.50

Wysong Sample Pack | Wysong

IMG_20181213_113622.jpg

Dr. Elsey's I just had to email but they sent me 2 samples of dry and 2 cans of food to try.

Also, some companies have money back guarantees if your pet doesn't like it. You just have to return the unused portion to the store.

Chewy.com will also refund your money if your cat doesn't like the food.

Another thing you could do is freeze some of the food and put it in a timed feeder that would open when you specify. Some also I think use a ice pack. That way you could offer all wet but still also offer an additional meal.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a feed store in your area? My feed store carries tons of samples for dog and cat food and will order samples for anything you want to try that they don't carry.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know of one site that does samples, but I know some pet food companies will send you a sample if you e-mail them saying you want to try their food. Also some smaller independently owned pet stores sometime can order in samples to see if customers are interested in different foods.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You could touch base with Only Natural Pet, and also contact Chewy . com, or Tractor Supply.
The Big Bad Woof might have some as well - their website is funky, but...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swellyellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone!!!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats just really like dry vs wet. I definitely recommend trying dr elsey's samples ( they send them if you email and ask), my cat loves the stuff so much that I use it as a treat, and it is one of if not the healthiest dry foods on the market.

if you cant' get your cat to graze on dry food, you might look into a Surefeed pet bowl, which is motion activated and has a lid that seals to keep the wet food fresh all day. it can take a bit to acclimate your cat to it, but the lid really does keep the food moist, which makes the bowl save money over time. I use one and am pretty happy with it. If you have multiple cats, they have a unit that is microchip activated, but that model is fairly expensive, so I recommend the much more affordable motion activted bowl, unless you really need the feeder access control. It is also worth getting a couple of stainless steel insert bowls, since the plastic one it comes with is hand wash only, whereas the steel ones are dishwasher safe.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask at your local independent pet store for samples. It's usually dry food and freeze dried raw samples. Sometimes pet stores have pet food company reps set up a table to give out product info and freebies. You can ask at your local pet store if they have anything like that.

Cat shows often have free samples. I remember going to a cat show sponsored by Fancy Feast years ago and took home a huge bag of free FF :D People were literally grabbing as many free cans at a time and kept going back multiple times to get more free cans. I got samples of Wellness dry food from a general health and wellness expo. There was a small pet section.

This web site has links to free pet food: 100% Free Pet Stuff and Pet Samples by Mail | Sweet Free Stuff

I'm not sure if The Honest Kitchen still offers $1 samples of their dehydrated food. Their web site only lists a "trial box" (2 lbs) for $19.99: 2 LB TRIAL BOX You can contact the company and ask.

Can you try feeding air dried food or freeze dried raw food instead of dry? Sometimes cats find those more appetizing.

Or, use a programmable timed feeder to offer canned food meals while you are at work / school / etc. I like the Petsafe 5 compartment one. Canned food is cooked so it won't spoil if left out at room temperature all day. You can freeze canned food into portion sizes and pop the frozen blocks into the feeder so it stays fresher long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swellyellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat expo, I didn’t even know there was such a thing lol! Thank you for your help!