Dry Food Recommendation And Help With Canned Foods..

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a 6 yr old male Orange tabby mix about 2 weeks ago. He's a big boy at around 12.6lbs. He came from a home with 2 other cats and was a surrender to due to financial difficulty. He is quite shy right now and I don't think he was handled much because it's taken awhile for him to sit calmly on my lap and he tends to hide in the laundry room where his bed, litter and food are. The shelter just fed whatever they are given so I don't know what kind of diet he previously had at his home. I originally purchased Canidae wet and dry but he wouldn't touch either of them at all. It was going on 2 days without eating so I knew I had to entice him quickly so he wouldn't get sick. After doing some research, I picked up a can of Friskies poultry platter and some Fancy Feast and some Nutro Max Cat dry chicken flavor. He ate them quickly but fast forward to now, he's mostly only interested in the Max Cat kibble. He'll lick the wet food but doesn't eat enough to call it a meal even if that's all I put out for the day. I've put out only wet food and not put down the kibble. I've tried Fancy Feast Classics flavors, Friskies poultry platter, Max Cat canned chicken and turkey flavors and Sheba chicken. He'll eat about 1/2 cup of kibble daily. My concern is that I've never owned a male cat and I've read that they are very prone to urinary issues/blockages. I know that wet food is the best diet for all cats but especially a male cat but if he won't eat it or eat enough of it, I know I can't force a cat to eat like I could a dog.

I'd like to know what other foods have worked for fussy wet food eating cats and which kibble is least likely to cause urinary issues. I chose Max Cat because I read on various forums that others had been using that with success on their cats with issues. Don't know if it's true, but some said that the Nutro line but in particular the Max Cat line was certified to keep the pH at a healthy level. I also read that Purina ONE urinary was good too to maintain urinary health for those cats that like to eat kibble. I don't know if that's safe to use though for a cat that hasn't had issues for maintenance. So basically, if your cat has or had issues with UTIs and won't eat a full diet of wet food, what kibble have you used to keep them healthy? Which wet foods keep them interested in eating them?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unfortunately, there is no perfect wet food for picky cats. It's all in what that individual cat likes, and each cat is different, just like us humans. Some cats like chicken, some like turkey, some like fish, etc. AND, some like pate, some like shreds, some like gravies, you get the idea. So....it's just a matter of figuring out what he likes. You can always try using toppers to entice him. Thing like crushed kibble, or tuna juice, or bonita flakes, FortiFlora, parmesan cheese, crushed Purebites, anything he DOES like to eat.

As far as the dry food, I don't think it's really true that the majority of male cats who eat only kibble get urinary issues. I've had several male cats and NONE of them have ever had urinary issues. (I hope I haven't just jinxed myself :rolleyes2: ) While it is true that I feed only wet food NOW, that wasn't always the case. I probably would NOT feed a urinary food if he doesn't have urinary issues, but that's just me.

Sometimes the best food is what they'll eat :wink:

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fromm is an excellent food, it comes in a variety of flavors wet or dry and my cats love it. Friskies and fancy feast are not good foods. It would be like you eating at Burger King every day. Way to much carbs and carbs are not needed in a cat or dog diet

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to crush up greenie treats and sprinkle them on our cats wet food to get them to eat it. Ive tried several different high quality brands and flavors of wet food, but nothing is consistently successful. We encourage them to eat as much wet as they want.

Unfortunately they each get half a cup of dry kibble, (high quality and grain free) daily, as we arent home during the day and sometimes get home late.

Our other male cat did get crystals, from dry kibble according to the vet , and our female cat developed diabetes, possibly from non grain free kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm going to pick up a few different cans/brands with various textures. I did have luck getting him to eat Nutro Perfect portions with kibble mixed in. Took his time but he ate it.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since he likes the Nutro Perfect Portions- Have you tried other varieties of Nutro Natural choice? Both of my cats love the cans of Sliced turkey and Minced chicken flavors, and one cat is really picky normally. Both of those flavors are carageenan-free, but some of their other flavors aren't, so be aware of that. Chicken soup for the soul is another one my picky cat loves, in the chicken and beef stew flavors but they only sell that at independent pet stores and online.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The only wet food my cat will eat is wellness signature selects tuna and salmon. Luckily, my cat is a very good drinker, so wet vs dry food isn't such an issue. She also likes (likes as in loves to the point of hilarity) the Fancy Feast Gourmet Broths. The broths are a treat, so they can't be the bulk of a cat's food, but they are a treat that can help hydrate a cat.

I always strongly suggest that any one struggling to fed their cat wet foods for hydration get a stainless steel ( or ceramic) cat fountain and fill it with filtered water. It may take a bit of time for your cat to get used to, but once that happens, fountains tend to make cats drink a lot more.

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats love the fountain, I've always had one, they will not drink standing water they like it as it comes out of the bubbler, the standing water in the bowl is for playing and splashing in not drinking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to try some other Nutro natural non-fish wet foods and different textures to see if he'll like them. He ate Iams pate this evening so I think I'm just dealing with trial and error.

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friskies and fancy feast are not good foods. It would be like you eating at Burger King every day. Way to much carbs and carbs are not needed in a cat or dog diet
this is simply untrue, the two varieties the original poster tried (fancy feast classic and friskies poultry platter) are very low carb. both brands (FF especially) can offer VERY healthy diets on a budget.

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is where I knew for sure this "analysis" was bunk. Just a bunch of fear mongering that makes money by shaming people who can't afford the best of the best.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise