Dry Food Reccs For Shedding Control

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Roman always sheds year-round. Perhaps I notice it more because all white but I was wondering what kind of dry food would be good to help with shed control. He's now eating Nature's recipe chicken & potato (he only eats chicken.. wet and dry) and gets fancy feast on the weekends. I can't afford to do wet every single day.

Thank you.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think dry food can really help control shedding. Not even sure if any kind of food can. I imagine if it was because of an unhealthy coat then omega 3 supplements might help? Or feeding wet or raw would be better, but you mentioned you can’t do that.

Some cats just shed a lot. :dunno:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing to reduce shedding is a high quality diet and brushing. Long ago I went from feeding friskies to natures variety and shedding was cut in half. I brush one-twice a week. That helps as well. With my little girl I only have to brush for a few minutes since she doesn’t have very thick fur. My boy is different. He’s short haired but very very thick undercoat. He’s black but his undercoating is light grey and he looses big chunks just sitting sometimes. I have to brush him at least twice a week for around a half hour. That helps but just as above said sometimes cats just shed a lot. I think fur type genetics play a role and how they were raised as well.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try switching the food. Another brand for a few months to see if it helps?

The one you are feeding is a little high in fiber, in my opinion, that can lead to dry skin, and coat problems for a cat. For dry food i try to feed 4% fiber, or less. I stay away from any indoor, or weight management foods as they usually have a lot of fiber.

Maybe check out the cat food data base CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat you can look up brands that are sold in your area, and in your price range. Merrick has some good ones, as does taste of the wild, nutro is often found in a lot of pet stores as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for your suggestions everyone. i do brush him, daily (but i can't do his undercoat) and i bought some Instinct nature variety (3% fiber). i'm gonna take him to get bathed and groomed, just because i never did that before since i adopted him.

Last edited: