Dry Food Or Wet Food? Both?

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi You might be right about the water situation. Regardless, about an hour ago I placed 2 more water bowls around the house just in case. I kinda figured she's getting most of her water from the wet food I give her, but I simply want the best for my adorable kitty. :( And no she didn't eat her 1/4 cup of dry food yet... she barely touched it. I know that I have to slowly transition from the old cat food to the new stuff I got her yesterday, but she did eat some of the new stuff no problem last night. I guess she doesn't eat a lot of dry food anymore like she used to. Only time I've seen her eat a lot of dry food was when I added a bit of water to it to give it some flavor. I haven't done that since the day before yesterday though. So I'm not sure what's going on. :( She did, however, eat a bit of this wet food and didn't really like it. It was just some random can of wet food that was given to me from the shelter, that's all. She ate even more of wet food for supper and just a little while ago, which was a can of Fancy Feast. She ate about half for supper, and finished the other half 10 minutes ago. So I guess she ate around a can and a half of wet food today. Barely touched her dry stuff.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't like the new dry food? Is it really small kibble, smaller than Friskies? My cats are so picky about their dry food, they hate the really small kibble. Don't be afraid to give her the Friskies 7 if that's all she will eat. I don't like how it has so much fish in it though. Right now I'm giving mine Friskies Tender & Crunchy since there is no fish in it. I'm still testing out dry foods, I wish they came in smaller bags.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't like the new dry food? Is it really small kibble, smaller than Friskies? My cats are so picky about their dry food, they hate the really small kibble. Don't be afraid to give her the Friskies 7 if that's all she will eat. I don't like how it has so much fish in it though. Right now I'm giving mine Friskies Tender & Crunchy since there is no fish in it. I'm still testing out dry foods, I wish they came in smaller bags.
No I never said she "didn't like the new dry food." All I said was that last night she actually ate some of it (I had it mixed in with her Friskies to slowly change over to the new food), but I don't think she even touched it today at all. :( I spent like $20 on the new dry food yesterday, so I'd hate for it to go to waste. :( And I actually didn't even notice that there's so much fish in the Friskies. That just worries me because fish isn't really the best for a cat because it destroys a very important B1 vitamin that cats REALLY need.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I hate that they put so much fish in Friskies because it's my cats' favorite. I don't know why they do that.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know, I hate that they put so much fish in Friskies because it's my cats' favorite. I don't know why they do that.
I'm not sure what to do, honestly. :( I'm completely broke because I had to spend so much yesterday on my cat and got no more money. I can try to get my cat to like the new dry food, but I don't know... I don't think she even touched her dry food. (Friskies and the new stuff mixed.)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are picky too. They don't like a lot of the expensive stuff. You could try putting the Friskies and the new stuff on separate plates. My cats are stubborn, if they don't like something they will starve themselves.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are picky too. They don't like a lot of the expensive stuff. You could try putting the Friskies and the new stuff on separate plates. My cats are stubborn, if they don't like something they will starve themselves.
But won't that complicate the transition process I'd need to make sure so she can eat the new dry stuff, if there's two different plates (or food dishes) with the two different foods? I was told (and found online too) that you're supposed to mix it in and slowly decrease the old food, while you increase the new food until she's on the new food fully afterwards.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know that's the way most people do it. But what if she never eats it? Hopefully your cat isn't as picky as mine. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know that's the way most people do it. But what if she never eats it? Hopefully your cat isn't as picky as mine. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
I had a little bit of Friskies and the new stuff mixed up from this morning, and she didn't touch it I don't think. However, as soon as I added a tiny bit of water to give it extra flavor, she started nibbling at it. Is it possible that she's wanting wet food more so than her dry food, and doesn't want to eat dry food normally? (without the added water I mean.)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she likes it with water on it. That's fine, as long as you don't leave it out very long. Cats are so picky about food. My cat likes the crunch, so he probably wouldn't like it with water on it.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she likes it with water on it. That's fine, as long as you don't leave it out very long. Cats are so picky about food. My cat likes the crunch, so he probably wouldn't like it with water on it.
Yeah that's true. So picky indeed. =/ Sometimes it frustrates me, honestly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly the more wet food he'll eat the better. If he doesn't like dry, I wouldn't stress it, just up his intake of his wet food consumption.

My 10 months is picky also. He will only eat Fancy Feast with the gravy and I mix 2 tablespoons in with the food and I smoosh it altogether really good with a fork and he loves it.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly the more wet food he'll eat the better. If he doesn't like dry, I wouldn't stress it, just up his intake of his wet food consumption.

My 10 months is picky also. He will only eat Fancy Feast with the gravy and I mix 2 tablespoons in with the food and I smoosh it altogether really good with a fork and he loves it.
Thanks for your advice. And by the way, my cat is female and her name is Tammy.

aolani

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very lucky to have cats who love everything! I feed them raw, wet canned and dry. I find raw to lack fiber so I give them some pumpkin when needed. I gave them the same variety since kittenhood ... maybe that's why they aren't picky?