Dry Food Only Once A Week?

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i recently got a job that means I won't be in to feed my cat one night a week, and the next morning. Would it be okay to just leave them a lot of biscuits out?

They have wet food twice a day and biscuits out all the time normally.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will you be home in the morning on the first day, then home at night on the next day? If so, I would just give them the wet food then when you are home. Then leave the dry for their other meals when you are gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will you be home in the morning on the first day, then home at night on the next day? If so, I would just give them the wet food then when you are home. Then leave the dry for their other meals when you are gone.
Yes, I am and I'm back around midday on the day when I miss the morning.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you'll be out a little over 24 hours once a week? You might try leaving double the wet food out on the first day and see if they eat it. A lot of people say that it is safe to leave canned food out several hours. It does get a crusty top, so whether or not the cats will eat it is another story.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and since they are already eating biscuits, a full day of biscuits won't hurt them. You might increase their wet portions on the other days so they still get the same amount of calories from the canned.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
if they don't gobble down the dry food in one sitting, you can leave it out all day for them to graze on while you're gone. if they do eat it all in one go, you can get a timed food dish, it'll pop open at a certain time for them to eat.

I feed my cats dry once or twice a week to change it up for them, it won't hurt :)

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Home in a.m. first day
Back next day, after noon

When you depart leave a large serving of wet food with filtered water stirred in. This will eliminate the dry crust on the top problem

Leave a dry, 1-portion snack for evening.

Feed a portion and a bit when you return.

If you are regularly delayed the timed feeder would be a good idea. There are timed feeders with two dishes that open at separate times. If you work somewhere where there are often emergencies this will help your cat stay on schedule. Give a healthy snack when you get home (tuna flakes, freeze-dried meat snacks) just to say hi honey I'm home!

I never recommend free-feeding unless kitty is a grazer and won't overeat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Home in a.m. first day
Back next day, after noon

When you depart leave a large serving of wet food with filtered water stirred in. This will eliminate the dry crust on the top problem

Leave a dry, 1-portion snack for evening.

Feed a portion and a bit when you return.

If you are regularly delayed the timed feeder would be a good idea. There are timed feeders with two dishes that open at separate times. If you work somewhere where there are often emergencies this will help your cat stay on schedule. Give a healthy snack when you get home (tuna flakes, freeze-dried meat snacks) just to say hi honey I'm home!

I never recommend free-feeding unless kitty is a grazer and won't overeat.
I have been considering a timed feeder. It seems well worth it.