Dry food for sickly senior cat + 3 others

MorningForest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! We have 4 cats in total, the main one being 17/18yo, the others 10 and younger. Our eldest has hyperthyroidism (methimazole topical), high blood pressure (amlodipine topical), and arthritis (meloxicam oral). She also has kidney issues, and urinates buckets (not unusual for her). We've gone through a very long and windy road with our vet about getting her comfortable, but we've recently moved across the country (to GA) and have not yet established care. Part because we don't know who to see, and also because we are flat broke.

The food they have been on for a long time was Royal Canin SO (dry). But being $90 for 17lbs, I just can't afford it anymore. Plus the issues my second youngest was having has long since been resolved. I've read that urinary diets are also not good for cats with kidney issues, and that low phos diets are ideal, but that it shouldn't be low in protein? Or should have high quality protein sources, not by-products?

It's been a long while since I've looked for food, and sadly I don't know the southern equivalent to Pet Food Express, where I was going to before and had more options. I really don't want to use brands like Purina, Science Diet, or Royal Canin (I don't trust them in the slightest, despite using RC), and would prefer to use higher quality brands, though will not be against it if it seems to be the best option price/quality wise. Also, I'm trying out Merrick's Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato, but they seem to not enjoy it as much, and pick at or eat around it. (I am also aware that Purina bought Merrick a few years back, but that Merrick has independence in continuing their recipe.)

For reference, the SO diet has 32.5% min protein and 1.26% max phos; Merrick's has 38% min protein and 0.8% min phos. Merrick is about $35 for 12lbs, SO is around $90 for 17lbs.

Some other things I'd like to note, is that our eldest does have muscle wasting and does vomit, sometimes more frequently than usual. We've talked to our vet about food and her muscle loss and vomiting many times, but she was no help at all about food (had no recommendations), and (frequent) blood tests showed nothing on the other issues.

The diet needs to be good for all of the cats also, as they are free fed. She does get baby food with her metacam EOD (every other day), and we try to give her baby food in general twice daily, since she doesn't eat enough as is. Baby food is around 1/4 jar (Gerber meat variety). All of our (Friskies) canned food is in the storage unit, but she always seemed to vomit after eating it anyway. The others used to get about 1/8 of a can twice daily, before it disappeared into the storage unit. That'll start again once we find it (or buy more, if we find we have the money).

Money is very very tight, and our family has become way more hectic with moving in with children and big dogs, so unfortunately, we just can't give them the priority and free house range that they used to have. Hopefully that will change at some point, but for now we are trying our best as we all acclimate.

Thank you for any advice and recommendations! Thank you for reading this far also. Any help with any of our issues is greatly appreciated <3 and I hope all of y'all are doing safe and well.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you, sweetie, you are really having a time of it. I hate the so-called veterinary or prescription foods. Awful ingredients that do far more harm than good. I have never had a cat with kidney disease, so I can’t advise you on her food. However, if you call Chewy’s customer service, they will be very helpful, and can hopefully steer you to a decent food for her. I know they say to stay low protein with CKD kitties, but that muscle wasting means she is literally cannibalizing her own body. Sorry I can’t be more help. For your younger cats, I highly recommend a wet food pate diet, Fancy Feast or Friskies pates are fine, along with Dr. Elsey’s CleanProtein dry food, which I order from Chewy. They ship quickly and orders over $50 ship free. Eating the above combination equals roughly the high protein/low carbohydrate of eating a mouse. My sister lives in Georgia, I think you’ll love it. I believe Georgia has Petco and possibly PetSmart. I will keep you, your family and pets in my prayers.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you‘re short on $ have you looked on the internet for help with vet care? i looked this site up, maybe it can help you….here in MA there are places vets visit on a monthly basic at different locations…their rates for shots for example are much cheaper than a vets office, they might be able to point you in the right direction on getting help. I’m so sorry for your situation and I hope things will improve for you…there’s always light at the end of the tunnel…hang in there..🙏🏻
VETERINARY

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you know what stage kidney disease your elderly cat is in? Low protein is actually better once they reach late stage as their kidney's really can't process much at that point. But until then, you are right that they need good quality protein. But I was feeding my last kidney cat a raw diet when she was diagnosed with CKD and she STILL had the muscle wasting, so I honesty don't know if anything can stop it :frown: I mean, you can't get much better quality protein than raw for a cat (100% nutritionally balanced, of course)

If you haven't seen this website, it is my "go to" for anything kidney related: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa