Dry Food: Dr Elsey’s Clean Protein Vs Wysong Epigen 90

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m not really a number’s person, so I hope someone can tell me what the pros and cons of one food vs the other.

These two products look very similar to me, with epigen 90 being cheaper. If there is no great advantage of dr elsey’s over wysong, I would rather save and feed my cat wysong. The cat in question doesn’t really have a preference, if he had his way he would want meow mix (he inhales this everytime we go to my friend’s house to visit his sister).

I’m also a little concerned as my cat hasn’t been putting on more weight recently. he’s been at about 7.5lbs for the past month.
being a male cat at 10 months I would imagine he would be heavier than he is currently and growing still. everything else is normal, he is fed on large meal of wet food at night, and free fed dry. He seems to be pooping once every second or third day since being put on wysong. What comes out is 2-3 days worth of healthy looking poop. i dont *think* he’s constipated, because he pees as usual and doesn’t strain to poop at the litter box. When he was on Dr elsey’s his stools were softer and stinkier, but he went every day. Okay, this is borderlining on cat health and not cat food, so lets cut to the chase!

The nutritional labels are as follows:

3433DEE9-DBE4-449C-A65B-B96D27325686.jpeg

A8D4B611-3A70-497B-8CEC-AE9881EA90FD.jpeg

I think he looks a little on the skinny side:
F2A61C8C-9B68-4632-AADD-61BE09522E1C.jpeg

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From that angle your cat looks fine. Cats should have slight abdominal tucks on each side when viewed from above and your cat appears to have very slight ones. I wouldn’t let him gain anymore weight (other than kitten growing weight) unless you can feel hip or spinal bones.
He’s also a kitten so still growing. Prob will continue to gain weight til 2 ish years maybe a little less. But I would stop the free feeding within the next 2-4 months.

As far as the foods. They’re both really good and ones I recommend a lot. Another I like I young again. Not sure of the price on that one but u might look at that one too. Those three are some of the best kibbles I can think of.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Dr Elseys is about 100 calories more per cup and I like their shorter ingredient list, but I feed Epigen 90. My cat likes it much more and my wallet isn't upset either ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Dr Elseys is about 100 calories more per cup and I like their shorter ingredient list, but I feed Epigen 90. My cat likes it much more and my wallet isn't upset either ;)
Oh, I didn't see the caloric information, I probably missed it with my selective vision lol! I wonder if the extra "good bacteria" in Wysong actually does anything. the first time my cat had it he had a bout of diarrhea, but was fine after that.

Your cat doesn't look too thin to me!
= I wouldn’t let him gain anymore weight (other than kitten growing weight) unless you can feel hip or spinal bones.
As far as the foods. They’re both really good and ones I recommend a lot. Another I like I young again. Not sure of the price on that one but u might look at that one too. Those three are some of the best kibbles I can think of.
That's good to know! I've always wondered whether that tuck was okay, since all the charts i see online have normal cats drawn with straight waistlines when viewed from above.

I think I've looked at young again before, I think it was more cost prohibitive so I ruled it out as an option. if they do have sales, I would love to try it out.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wysong purposes doesn't list calories on their products. I understand they think this is good lol but it annoys me. They will however provide the info if requested.

How Important is Caloric Content in Pet Food? | Wysong

I'm not sure about the extra probiotics etc. I've not had any bad experience with any of their products, thankfully! Lydia adores their Freeze Dried Quail!

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have food allergies a d I was hoping the 90 would be ok because Dr. Elsey’s cost so much more to feed3 kittens. The Epogen 90 didn’t work for us. So Dr. Elsey’s it is. I even tried the normal Epogen still had reactions. Going to try Wyong’s optimal vitality next. If they still react then I’ll just buy the Dr.Elsey’s though i’m transitioning them over to a wet/raw diet in the next few months.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wysong purposes doesn't list calories on their products. I understand they think this is good lol but it annoys me. They will however provide the info if requested.

How Important is Caloric Content in Pet Food? | Wysong

I'm not sure about the extra probiotics etc. I've not had any bad experience with any of their products, thankfully! Lydia adores their Freeze Dried Quail!
I find their approach interesting. Back in Europe, none of the food I fed my cats had the calories listed, I never wondered about this, that was simply not a topic. Now, in US, I learned to always check for the calories on a label :D It's interesting if it's cultural thing or just the matter of a habit.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find their approach interesting. Back in Europe, none of the food I fed my cats had the calories listed, I never wondered about this, that was simply not a topic. Now, in US, I learned to always check for the calories on a label :D It's interesting if it's cultural thing or just the matter of a habit.
Maybe both! It's definitely interesting.