Dry food causing diarrhea.=

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat 10 years old had pyometra surgery a month ago. She has no issues other than diarrhea after surgery. She is playful and active. She's been eating orijen for a long time before the surgery and not having diarrhea. But now I have a problem because of diarrhea whenever I fully transitioned her to orijen again. The vet gave me a prescription intestinal diet wet food to be mixed gradually with her orijen. When the wet food is mixed with orijen, her stool were solid and good but when It's time to a full orijen meal her stool started softening again. I tried doing it thrice already her stool became solid but when it's time to full orijen, the diarrhea is starting again. The vet suggested me to deworm her today. Her wet food diet before is fancy feast chicken and liver classic but I'm afraid to give it to her now until her diarrhea resolves. Is her orijen causing this problem? Should I switch her to different dry food. I saw Natural Balance Limited ingredient green pea and duck. Is it ok to feed this to her?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switch gradually or it may cause even more diarrhea. If Orijen is causing diarrhea, I woudl definitely gradually switch from it, or try to get her on an all wet diet. With maybe a little dry as a snack.
Be careful of these grain free diets, you might want to do some research. The protein they provide, and eliminating the preservatives, etc. is great but the things they add to replace the grains, like vegetables, fruits, ets, has been creating otehr problems in both cats and dogs. Stick with reputable companies and look at the reviews and studies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Switch gradually or it may cause even more diarrhea. If Orijen is causing diarrhea, I woudl definitely gradually switch from it, or try to get her on an all wet diet. With maybe a little dry as a snack.
Be careful of these grain free diets, you might want to do some research. The protein they provide, and eliminating the preservatives, etc. is great but the things they add to replace the grains, like vegetables, fruits, ets, has been creating otehr problems in both cats and dogs. Stick with reputable companies and look at the reviews and studies.
Thanks for the reply. Is Natural Balance Limited ingredients not a good choice? I only have limited options where I lived. Good foods available are acana and orijen. Her wet food fancy feast chicken and liver feast classic only because she has eosophilic granuloma and allergic to fish. I am quite stressed because she is not allergic to orijen before her surgery

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat main diet is fancy feast classic I am only giving the dry food as snack. But I haven't given her fancy feast for now since she has diarrhea. When she is in intestinal wet food mixed with Orijen 75% and intestinal 25% her stool is solid. But the intestinal diet is causing her swollen lips because of food allergy to the intestinal brand. Hill's i/d has no supplyfor now. I am giving her dr clauders and she is allergic to it. I am not sure if Natural Balance limited is a good substitute to Orijen. Vet says to deworm her. I am also not sure it it's the water. We are both taking mineral water but I am getting upset stomach and soft stool too sometimes

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I removed the intestinal diet her lips is starting to heal but when I feed her without it and gives full orijen she is having diarrhea. She has no issues with orijen before

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other brands I know available here are Taste of the wild rocky mountain, Acana prairie feast and Orijen cat and kitten. Is Natural Balance limited ingredient not a good brand? Sorry for multiple post because I couldn't see the edit button

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I removed the intestinal diet her lips is starting to heal but when I feed her without it and gives full orijen she is having diarrhea. She has no issues with orijen before
It is from the same batch, or better yet the very same bag she was eating before? I assumed is the same flavour.
On a side note, you could use this situation to switch her to only wet food, unless there are personal/work reasons that prevent that.

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is from the same batch, or better yet the very same bag she was eating before? I assumed is the same flavour.
On a side note, you could use this situation to switch her to only wet food, unless there are personal/work reasons that prevent that.

Hi thanks for the reply. The orijen is from a different batch. I will do the intestinal diet again today but this time mix it with her favorite fancy feast chicken liver classic. And give her just wet food as the main diet. I will also try different brand like Acana Wild Prarie dry food to be given as a snack. I will also deworm her today. Her stool that started yesterday is watery

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am giving her dryfood as a substitute because the fancy feast tender liver and chicken feast is always out of stock. She only like the classic flavors. And all are fish flavored other than the tender liver and chicken feast

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there I'm a veterinary technician! I want to start off by saying that I'm not a doctor and I'm not providing a medical diagnosis only offering advice based off of my experience in private practice.

With that being said, switching their food abruptly can cause diarrhea. Especially if you are switching them back and forth. You want to transition it slowly. You will want to gradually decrease the amount of current cat food while increasing the amount of new cat food over a 7-day period. Deworming her can resolve the problem if she has parasites. You could ask your veterinarian to run a fecal test before deworming to ensure she has them before medicating, or go ahead and medicate. Dewormers tend to be fairly harmless!

Another option you can try is called Fortiflora or any other probitoic supplement that helps settle the natural flora of the stomach. These are available over the counter. Usually you will want to finish the whole box--at least in the case of Fortiflora--and not discontinue in the middle of it. For other brands, you'll have to look and see what they recommend on the box.

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there I'm a veterinary technician! I want to start off by saying that I'm not a doctor and I'm not providing a medical diagnosis only offering advice based off of my experience in private practice.

With that being said, switching their food abruptly can cause diarrhea. Especially if you are switching them back and forth. You want to transition it slowly. You will want to gradually decrease the amount of current cat food while increasing the amount of new cat food over a 7-day period. Deworming her can resolve the problem if she has parasites. You could ask your veterinarian to run a fecal test before deworming to ensure she has them before medicating, or go ahead and medicate. Dewormers tend to be fairly harmless!

Another option you can try is called Fortiflora or any other probitoic supplement that helps settle the natural flora of the stomach. These are available over the counter. Usually you will want to finish the whole box--at least in the case of Fortiflora--and not discontinue in the middle of it. For other brands, you'll have to look and see what they recommend on the box.

Thanks for the reply. I did the gradual transition thrice for 7 days. During the transitioning period the stools were solid but after the transitioned for 7 days, diarrhea is starting again. It's been 3 weeks already. The vet prescribed her yakult probiotic but the diarrhea didn't resolve when I transitioned her to back to full orijen meal. I want to try fortiflora. Is it a syrup or tablet? How much should I give her per day?

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I did the gradual transition thrice for 7 days. During the transitioning period the stools were solid but after the transitioned for 7 days, diarrhea is starting again. It's been 3 weeks already. The vet prescribed her yakult probiotic but the diarrhea didn't resolve when I transitioned her to back to full orijen meal. I want to try fortiflora. Is it a syrup or tablet? How much should I give her per day?
Fortiflora is a powder that you mix into her food. It comes in a box with individual packets. You put one into her food every 24 hours until the box is gone. Fortiflora is made by Purina.

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I cannot find fortiflora where I lived. I can only find Now Saccharomyves boulardii and Jarrow brand. How much should I give with these type of probiotics daily?

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I cannot find fortiflora where I lived. I can only find Now Saccharomyves boulardii and Jarrow brand. How much should I give with these type of probiotics daily?
I'm not familiar with those brands. Usually the box comes with instructions and/or consult your veterinarian.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't bother - it's not good for diarrhea IME.
What I use is "carobin pet ultra" in hard pills, that are usually tasty. IDK if there is that in your region.

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't bother - it's not good for diarrhea IME.
What I use is "carobin pet ultra" in hard pills, that are usually tasty. IDK if there is that in your region.
It's literally designed for diarrhea and recommended by veterinarians, but whatever. ;)

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's literally designed for diarrhea and recommended by veterinarians, but whatever. ;)
Figure this: once I used the paste from the same brand and it caused more loose stool (it has too much synthetic oils). Only the pills work for my kitty.

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Figure this: once I used the paste from the same brand and it caused more loose stool (it has too much synthetic oils). Only the pills work for my kitty.
So just because it didn't work for your cat you don't recommend it? First of all, I recommended the powder supplement. The paste is known to cause diarrhea and Purina is currently working on reworking their formula ot prevent that. Second of all, just because it didn't work for YOUR cat doesn't mean it's not going to work for others. Telling someone to "not bother" just because it didn't work for your pet is irresponsible.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So just because it didn't work for your cat you don't recommend it? First of all, I recommended the powder supplement. The paste is known to cause diarrhea and Purina is currently working on reworking their formula ot prevent that. Second of all, just because it didn't work for YOUR cat doesn't mean it's not going to work for others. Telling someone to "not bother" just because it didn't work for your pet is irresponsible.
I think you are misinterpreting my writing and my intentions.
First, i said in another post that Fortiflora CAUSED diarrhea in my cat (about 3 years ago).
Second, i said that Carobin paste made stool more lose rather than solid IME and so i recommend the pills.
Third, my vet prescribed to me: is that a bad thing?
Whatever worked for your cat(s) is good to recommend. We are just helping people, aren't we?

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started mixing the intestinal wet food 75% and 25% fancy feast. Her stool is back to normal again. Tomorrow I will start 50% Intestinal diet and 50% fancy feast. I am doing 3 days of 75/25 intestinal and fancy feast then 3 days 50% each then 3 days 75% fancy feast and 25% intestinal. Hoping when it is full fancy feast, the diarrhea won't come back again