Dry Food Addict

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

My black cat, Lisi, is dry food addict. And not ONLY a dry food addict, but a specific brand: Costco Grain Free Natures Domain. The primary ingredients are salmon and sweet potato. I really want her to switch it up and eat wet food, or even a different brand of dry food! But this cat is not having it. She snubs it unless it is the Costco dry food. Talk about a cat that does not like change. Lisi is this cat. Any ideas on why she is so stubborn about this kibble?

I have another cat, Luna, is the exact opposite. She will anything and everything, including the new foods that I'm trying to get Lisi to eat. Any ideas?

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kibble is MEANT to addict cats. "Natural Flavor" is the culprit.
I've transitioned many cats from kibble to wet. Some were easier than others.
Normally kibble fed cats are free fed. That is also a habit to break.
Big texture difference too.
I used many of the transitioning hints offered from this vet, who specializes in feline nutrition: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

If you follow through to transitioning to a wet diet, you will be AMAZED by the changes you will see in your cats. I promise you that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you ARE free feeding and want to continue with that option using a different dry food, you could try incorporating a little bit of the new food into the Costco food, and just keep adding a little bit of the new food over a long period of time. That way she can get used to the new food and it shouldn't cause any tummy issues either, as happens with many cats. If you want to transition her to canned food, the tips in the above article really do work, but only if you feed scheduled meals. If you don't already do that, maybe this will help:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. The cats are not being “free fed”. They get measured food 2x a day. I will read some more articles.