Dry egg yolk powder and IBD

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty has IBD confirmed with the endoscopy procedure. Her IBD symptoms are mainly internal, slow GI motility, and thickened GI. I've read egg yolk can help with motility and dealing with a hairball. I'm giving 1/4 tsp yolk powder twice a day mixed with food. Currently, she is on budesonide and cisapride. Her stool is very soft, almost liquid. I'm wondering if she is allergic to egg yolk or the yolk is promoting motility causing soft stool.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
it's really hard to say. Too much egg yolk can definitely cause soft stool. Have you tried cutting back on it to see what happens? Is she typically constipated, or have megacolon, is that why the cisapride? Egg yolks can help with motility, which is also what cisapride does, so it's possible both together are too much. An egg allergy is possible, although those would most often result in itching rather than diarrhea (but not always). The only way you will know for certain if the egg yolks are the problem is to cut them out for awhile (weeks) and if she improves, then that was probably it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I cut out the egg yolk, her stool hardens up. So it’s hard to judge if she is allergic to egg(chicken) or soft stool is because of increase in motility.
She has IBD diagnosed via biopsy

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't cut it out completely, just try decreasing the dose and see what happens. The standard daily dose is 1/4 teaspoon, so maybe try only giving it once a day instead of twice as it is likely you are giving her too much.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also think hydrolyzed ZD is contributing to diarrhea. Today, I did not give any yolk powder and gave her ZD canned food and 2 hours after eating, she ran to the litter box and her poop was like water. Has anyone here experience diarrhea with Hills ZD canned food? My vet is insisting dry ZD which I'm not too keen feeding dry food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just read your other thread discussing other foods for IBD cats and wonder if you have considered any of them since it appears that ZD isn't working well. You mentioned in the other thread that your girl doesn't like it, and now she is having liquid diarrhea on it, whereas diarrhea was never a problem even with her IBD in the past :sigh: . Now that I HAVE read more, I see why she is on both the cisapride and egg yolk powder as she gets hairball blockages, and those probably caused the IBD by irritating her digestive tract.

So, have you given any thought to trying Rawz canned food in perhaps Rabbit or Venison, which she's probably never had before and therefore would probably not have allergies to? Or using a frozen commercial raw food in those same proteins? Or making your own? I know that other thread sounded like you were ready to go in making your own, even if you cooked it slightly, which many people do. If you use Alnutrin as a premix, just call them and discuss how much to use if you lightly cook the meat. Or even talk to the folks at FoodFurLife about the chicken liver in their mix, since they already have recipes for using cooked meats. I have read before that there is a huge difference between canned food with chicken in it and using raw chicken, so their premix might be ok, especially since you really don't have any idea if she's got chicken allergies or not. Or ANY food allergies for that matter, right?

BTW, have you seen this link? Feline Nutrition – IBDKitties

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read your other thread discussing other foods for IBD cats and wonder if you have considered any of them since it appears that ZD isn't working well. You mentioned in the other thread that your girl doesn't like it, and now she is having liquid diarrhea on it, whereas diarrhea was never a problem even with her IBD in the past :sigh: . Now that I HAVE read more, I see why she is on both the cisapride and egg yolk powder as she gets hairball blockages, and those probably caused the IBD by irritating her digestive tract.

So, have you given any thought to trying Rawz canned food in perhaps Rabbit or Venison, which she's probably never had before and therefore would probably not have allergies to? Or using a frozen commercial raw food in those same proteins? Or making your own? I know that other thread sounded like you were ready to go in making your own, even if you cooked it slightly, which many people do. If you use Alnutrin as a premix, just call them and discuss how much to use if you lightly cook the meat. Or even talk to the folks at FoodFurLife about the chicken liver in their mix, since they already have recipes for using cooked meats. I have read before that there is a huge difference between canned food with chicken in it and using raw chicken, so their premix might be ok, especially since you really don't have any idea if she's got chicken allergies or not. Or ANY food allergies for that matter, right?

BTW, have you seen this link? Feline Nutrition – IBDKitties
That is absolutely correct. We don't know which protein is triggering inflammation. We always rotate different proteins prior to hairball obstruction. The only protein she hasn't eaten is snake, rat, or raccoon etc. She had all of the commercially available protein. I think it is ZD that is causing diarrhea. I stopped ZD for few weeks and fed her ZD last night and she had liquid poop again. I may have to try single protein at a time for few month and ultrasound her and see if her GI wall is calming down.

Her IBD is silent unlike others so it is perplexing. This is why her vet wants to keep her on hydrolyzed diet for life.