Dry Cat Food

christian1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased some Royal Canin this weekend from our local Petsmart. I wanted to see what was so special about it. I don't know what it is but my three persians are in love with it. The other brand I am using is Eagle. They enjoy it too, but not like this brand. My cats took an instant liking to it. Royal Canin is a bit pricey which may hinder me from buying more of it. Too bad!
Christian

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten Bucky is eating the Royal Canin Baby Cat and seems to like the tiny bites. Did you get the kind formulated just for Persians?

Of course you have to stay within your budget, but sometimes you can save some money by purchasing the largest bags of the dry food, it will keep fresh if you store it in an air tight container. Maybe you could calculate the cost and see whether or not it really is that much more to feed the good food.

My cats eat mostly the Wellness brand dry food and I get the largest bag. It costs about $29.00 but lasts three weeks or so between my three cats and the two neighborhood strays who eat on the patio. I estimate my cost for dry food to be approx. $45.00 a month and only $1.50 a day to feed five kitties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Royal canin has canned food only in the Sesible choice line... My dog Gigi loves the turkey formula

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hunter
most of the kibbles are very small...

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fed Royal Canin to both my cats for a few months, but Buffy did horrible on it. She had such a dull coat, though my other cat did quite well on it. I've switched them to California Natural and after only a few weeks, Buffy's quite shiny again and Willow's still acting the way she was on Royal Canin (she started acting all frisky and friendly), though it's hard to tell if her coat has lost or gained shine (don't ask me how, but it's just hard to tell, with the type of coat she has). Personally I wouldn't feed Royal Canin anymore, since the ingredient list really isn't all that great. These forums are sponsored by the stuff, so the people here will praise it and recommend it if they can.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

I fed Royal Canin to both my cats for a few months, but Buffy did horrible on it. She had such a dull coat, though my other cat did quite well on it. I've switched them to California Natural and after only a few weeks, Buffy's quite shiny again and Willow's still acting the way she was on Royal Canin (she started acting all frisky and friendly), though it's hard to tell if her coat has lost or gained shine (don't ask me how, but it's just hard to tell, with the type of coat she has). Personally I wouldn't feed Royal Canin anymore, since the ingredient list really isn't all that great. These forums are sponsored by the stuff, so the people here will praise it and recommend it if they can.
I agree that the Royal Canin doesn't have the most premium ingredient list. I tried the Wellness and the Chicken Soup Kitten for Bucky, but he wasn't all that attracted to it. My older cats all get the Wellness, and alternate occasionally to the Chicken Soup or Organix. I like the ingredients of the Wysong and the Pinnacle dry, but kitties didn't seem to care for it.

Bucky is also getting canned food four times a day and has started going to the adult Wellness which he can tell from the kitten Wellness. The canned foods we have been trying for him are the Pinnacle, Wellness, Nutro Kitten, Triumph Kitten, Evo, and Chicken Soup.

When my kitty Tiny was little, she was very picky and preferred the Royal Canin Baby Cat over everything...I had a heck of a time weaning her off of the Science Diet canned prescription diet that she started out on. She has continued to be very fussy, but has a good coat.

http://tinypic.com/90rqrc.jpg

Bucky is more picky over the dry, and seems to like every single one of the wet foods he has tried.

http://tinypic.com/90rrci.jpg

I am no expert, I just want to be sure he (and all my kitties) gets all the nutrition he needs, especially when no one is home to give him fresh canned food. So far it looks like he is doing well, and will transition to what my older kitties are on, the dry Wellness supplemented with small daily amounts of canned when he is older.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never fed Royal Canin, it doesn't look like it's much better than say Iam's for the money you pay for it.

One of my cats eats a combination of Innova Evo and Hill's Chicken and Rice formula, which, I know, isn't the best in the world, but he won't touch anything that doesn't at least have teh Science Diet mixed in, that weird kit. It's what he was on when I adopted him well over a year ago and he doesn't like to change his food, apparently.

My baby girl eats the Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics kitten formula for both her wet and dry, and she wolfs the stuff down.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of Royal Canins formula are excellant while others are just a step above ave due to no by products.... I have feed the senior to kandie she ate it for awhile.... Zoey eats a totally different diet than any cat I have had... My dog doesnt dig any of RC formulas thou I know some dogs that love it

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKittysDaddy

Does Royal Canins make a hairball food? Couldn't find any on the site.

Thanks!

MKD
All of Royal Canins catfoods have what they call an "anti hairball system".

misskittysdaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

All of Royal Canins catfoods have what they call an "anti hairball system".
Ah, thank you.
Am thinking of trying it out - Miss Kitty is having a hard time with them lately and I'm looking to find her a new brand.

MKD