Dry Cat Food, Topped With Shredded Cheese

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been feeding a feral, intact male for some time. Its absolutely broiling here in Florida, and he does not seem to be gaining any weight. I feed him twice daily; he has no interest in water, so I began sprinkling shredded cheese on dry food. I will report on any weight gain I notice. Any suggestions to put some meat on his bones? gray.and.moki.april.2019.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Other than food with enticements such as the cheese or something here below, can you trap him and get him in to a vet? (Kentucky Fried Chicken can work to trap an unwilling cat :) )

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little (depending on whether you want to try that to help increase the odor) - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for the ideas...I copied them for reference. After months, I cannot get closer than 5 to 6 ft., so trapping not an option. Sometimes he mewls to me, and Moki...sometimes he hisses. Now, its rainy season, feeding is a timing challenge. I set large tote on its side, and make moat with water and put his bowl inside; after much hesitation, he eventually eats. Thanks again!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you utilize a ...I think it's called a drop-trap? You'd put some Kentucky fried chicken in it and wait.
I'm not sure if this link will work but you could type drop trap into your search engine if not.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He really needs to be trapped. Just because you cannot get close does not mean you cannot trap him. If you feed him and make him strong, he is only remains strong to breed. Please get him trapped ASAP.

I also suspect he may have worms which is very common in outside feral cats. You can purchase de wormers online and give him one. Often when feral cats are trapped and taken in for neuter, they will receive a de wormer. This might really help him.