Drugs For Cats With Liver Failure

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, what drugs are vets using for cats or dogs with liver failure?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as I know Denamarin is the first drug usually given. But there are others that can be used. Is your cat in liver failure? Is he/she on a feeding tube, because usually that's the first thing that happens...they lose their appetite. Did your Vet not discuss medications with you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not my cat, someone else who's vet is a "farm vet". Was just trying to get them some info for them to talk about with their vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, normally when a ca is in liver failure, they stop eating, so the first line of defense is to put in E-tube for feeding, because without that, they are pretty lost. Do you know if that's the case? If this cat is being treated by a large animal Vet, how did they even know it's liver failure? Can you get us more info here? What's causing the liver failure...usually there is an underlying condition

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they based their diagnosis on the skin color. :(

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That makes sense. He's probably yellow. But do you know any more than that? Is this cat eating or not? Are they force feeding him? This is a very, very serious issue with cats. Deadly, to be honest. I lost a cat to it a long time ago, and time is of the essence. But as I stated above, usually this is brought on by an underlying condition, and without treating THAT, even if you can get thru the immediate crisis, it may just come back again :sigh:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it was not eating and looking like it was on death's door, but nothing else. I've had two with liver failure, one had the tube inserted and was started on antibiotics I think and he recovered after several weeks. The other had a tumor and the vet recommended euthanasia. :(