Drooling, Won't Eat or Drink. HELP!

lwenr895

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old cat, Pia, is a alpha Maine Coon.  He has never been ill before.  Yesterday around 10:30, I noticed his tongue sticking out.  At first, I didn't think anything of it.  Then, I noticed he was drooling.  He is not an affectionate cat and does not like to be held.  I picked him up and he collapsed into my arms.  So, I thought.. maybe I'm paranoid and went and got treats.. to which he was not responsive. 

I took him to the vet.  When we got there he peed in the cage which he NEVER does.  He had a slight fever.  They did not find anything wrong with his heart or lungs.  His teeth were cleaned a few months ago and they said weren't in the best condition, but that his teeth are not the cause of the problem.

My other cat, Lady has IBD.  So, we feed both of them Royal Canin Feline Intestinal.   I just opened a new bag my mom had given me and noticed that it expired in August.  They only could have had it once.  Could this be the issue????  The bag was sealed.. Lady is not sick

Additionally, at the vet they gave Pia shots to help with his Nausea.  These shots did not work.  So, they gave me medicine to help at home which is not working.  Upon arriving home, he peed in the cage again.  The entire night he laid with me and didn't move all too much.  When he tried moving, it was very evident that he was weak and struggling.

This morning he is still drooling with his tongue sticking out.  He tried to make it to the bathroom to poop and couldn't get up into the box.

I am scared and do not know what to do.  I razed him since I bottle fed him when I found him.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Also, I do not keep any plants in my home.

Thank you!

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do any blood work?

Could Pia have eaten a toxic plant or something? Does he go outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwenr895

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never goes outside and we don't have plants. We are at the vet again now.

lwenr895

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In 24 hrs excessive drooling, ulcers ion tongue in the last 12hrs, won't eat or drink.  Nausea meds not working, vet did x-ray and blood work.. X-ray good blood work ok but blood is clotting very fast.  She said as soon as she drew it clotted.  Hard to get all blood work done. Tongue corroding, inside cat no chemical or plants in house, vet says could be blood clot in the vessels supporting the tongue.

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since he stopped eating/drinking? It can be very dangerous due to the risk of dehydration/fatty liver. Please read my post and update us about your kitty. I HOPE he is okay!!!! Well wishes 

lwenr895

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has started to eat.. gradually.  Yesterday the vet called me at work and told me he was dying. OVER THE PHONE... NICE!

Turns out he has something called DIC.  They tried to take a blood sample but couldn't fully because his blood was instantly clotting around the needle.  They could tell me the little that they had was his kidneys are fine as well as his blood count.  His tongue hadn't gone back into his mouth and was beginning to corrode.

They immediately gave him pain medication and since he has been home we have continued to do so as well.  His drooling has stopped, his tongue is back in his mouth, and he is beginning to walk around curious about things. 

He is still in pain, I see him struggle to eat, but at least he is trying!!  Progress :)

I called this morning to find out if his progress is good and spoke with the vet.  They forgot to mention they heard a heart murmur.  COME ON!!! REALLY!  So, they wouldn't have told me if I called? 

I am new to the area and rushed him to the only place I knew of which is Banfield inside of PetSmart.  I'm wondering if that was the best choice.

He also had X-Rays and they came up clean.

So... so far.. so good.

Although we are not out of the woods, I am very hopeful.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go to a different vet as it sounds like that particular Banfield is staffed w/ idiots. Do you have any friends at the office you can ask? Good vets can be hard to find sometimes.

Good vibes for your kitty.

lwenr895

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What happened with mine was unique. It was Christmas time and he must have licked the pine comes that we're decorated.. So the vet thinks. They have a certain oil that made his tongue sore.
We put him on pain medication and he darted to eat that night. That was after they told me he would die and he's fine.
I hope your babies are ok!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened with mine was unique. It was Christmas time and he must have licked the pine comes that we're decorated.. So the vet thinks. They have a certain oil that made his tongue sore.
We put him on pain medication and he darted to eat that night. That was after they told me he would die and he's fine.
I hope your babies are ok!
lwenr895 - I'm sorry; I didn't realize I was responding to an old thread! I'm glad your cat got better from the pine cone oil.

My cat has been drooling and hasn't eaten. I'm worryied cause its happening to both my cats. I don't know what to do my mom won't take him to the vet and I don't want my baby to die.
cittykat - I would recommend starting your own thread so that people can see it and respond to you. My post above about possible feline herpes virus was directed at your particular problem.