Drooling Cat

HouseCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12-year-old cat has been drooling for several months. Often it's after she's eaten or taken a drink but sometimes she drools while just sitting around.The drool is usually thick like there is mucus. She's seen two vets and is being treated with an antibiotic but still she drools. Has anyone else had this problem and got it successfully treated?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you had X-rays done of his teeth? Cats eventually need dentals and extractions if their teeth are never upkept. Your cat is at that age so I would recommend getting a dental cleaning done along with any extractions that will be needed. My childhood cat was around 12 when he started having dental problems. He is 20 now and hardly has a tooth left in his head after multiple extractions over 8 years. However the infection abscessed teeth can cause can kill a cat if left untreated so I’d go ahead and have a dental cleaning planned ASAP.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a dental problem. Many "regular" vets don't take dental health into consideration when examining a cat for a health issue:rolleyes: It's not something that's really taught in vet school. You can ask the vet to look for dental issues or seek out a veterinary dentist who has additional experience beyond basic vet school. a board certified veterinary dentist is a good sign of a vet having extensive experience and knowledge of dental issues.

If you're in the US, use this web site to find a veterinary dentist: AVDC Veterinary Dentist Directory | AVDC - American Veterinary Dental College The main web site has lots of good info on pet dental health and common issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HouseCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you had X-rays done of his teeth? Cats eventually need dentals and extractions if their teeth are never upkept. Your cat is at that age so I would recommend getting a dental cleaning done along with any extractions that will be needed. My childhood cat was around 12 when he started having dental problems. He is 20 now and hardly has a tooth left in his head after multiple extractions over 8 years. However the infection abscessed teeth can cause can kill a cat if left untreated so I’d go ahead and have a dental cleaning planned ASAP.
Thanks! I'll look into this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HouseCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a dental problem. Many "regular" vets don't take dental health into consideration when examining a cat for a health issue:rolleyes: It's not something that's really taught in vet school. You can ask the vet to look for dental issues or seek out a veterinary dentist who has additional experience beyond basic vet school. a board certified veterinary dentist is a good sign of a vet having extensive experience and knowledge of dental issues.

If you're in the US, use this web site to find a veterinary dentist: AVDC Veterinary Dentist Directory | AVDC - American Veterinary Dental College The main web site has lots of good info on pet dental health and common issues.
Thanks so much. The link is very helpful since there's a dental vet in my town I didn't know about.