Drooling Cat

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI. I rescue a 3 year old cay from a very good, local, no kill shelter. I took Sabboth to the vet 4 days later for a check up. He was scratching his ears alot and Drooling ALOT. My vet said he had some ear mites (thus the scratching) and gave him Revolution as a treatment. It has worked. But when I mentioned the drooling, he looked in Sabboth's mouth and showed me where, up the sides in the acknowledge and going down his throat, it was red. He said he has never seen it before. He gave me antibiotics to give him, which I did for 1 week. The drooling stopped so I stopped the medicine. Now the drooling has started again and, when I checked his mouth just now, it is red again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should continue with the antibiotics  until it is finished. If Sabboth's mouth is not better return to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought Sabboth back from his vet appointment. She thinks he has the early stages of feline stomatitis. So I have been doing some research. L-Lysine was mentioned on some sites I was looking at, as well as Aqua-dent or Plaque Off. Does anyone know anything about either of these possible treatments?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you found anything to help your cat? I just recently heard of Plaque Off. It got some good reviews on Amazon for treating stomatitis. I've just bought some to try on my cats just for tooth care, not any other health issues. I talked to my vet about it and she said she didn't have personal experience with it but had a couple of patients using it. She didn't have any issues with me trying it with my cats. But then again, mine are healthy.

I hope you've found some answers for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Shortly after I wrote the post, Aabboth became deathly ill from a respiratory infection. After three different kinds of antibiotics, he finally became better and has been his normal self. The drooling stopped...i am assuming because of the antibiotic overload. I have been keeping an eye on his mouth but have not tried anything else since the drooling has stopped. I can let u know of any changes. Thank you!