Drips outside the litter box

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello ,
I have noticed one of my cats often leaves little drips of urine outside the litter box. I have also noticed in the past but not recently tiny drops of urine on the bedspread. He is a 5 .5 yr old Himmy and besides that he is healthy and happy.
Is this something I should be concerned about or see the vet about or should I just talk to the vet when we go for shots in a few months?
Thanks so much for any thoughts on this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long would you say this has been going on? It probably should be checked out by a vet, regardless, just in case there is a medical reason behind it. I don't know how many months until his shots are due, but if the situation gets worse, you might not want to wait - and/or move up the appt. Vaccinations can be done a bit in advance of the actual one- or 3-year mark without issue.

You indicated you have more than one cat, so it might be that Himmy is in a hurry to get in and out of the litter box(es) if they aren't cleaned often enough to suit him. Some cats are pickier than others about this. Sometimes, the cause can be from not having enough litter boxes to accommodate multiple cats.

I'd track the frequency and timing to see if it ties to anything going on with the boxes or within your home in general, just to see if you can find a pattern that might help explain what is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How long would you say this has been going on? It probably should be checked out by a vet, regardless, just in case there is a medical reason behind it. I don't know how many months until his shots are due, but if the situation gets worse, you might not want to wait - and/or move up the appt. Vaccinations can be done a bit in advance of the actual one- or 3-year mark without issue.

You indicated you have more than one cat, so it might be that Himmy is in a hurry to get in and out of the litter box(es) if they aren't cleaned often enough to suit him. Some cats are pickier than others about this. Sometimes, the cause can be from not having enough litter boxes to accommodate multiple cats.

I'd track the frequency and timing to see if it ties to anything going on with the boxes or within your home in general, just to see if you can find a pattern that might help explain what is going on.
Thank you! The little drips on the bedspread was a couple years ago. Have not seen any in several months. The drips outside the litter box I noticed prob 6 months ago and maybe once or twice a week I see them.
We do keep the boxes clean but could be he's getting chased out of the box by the other cat. There are 2 boxes . I know ideally there should be 3 so will consider adding one I guess.
I will be around more often now to observe more closely also so I will be the litter box stalker!
Thanks so much for feedback!