Drinking Water

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is the urine output? Excessive urination plus excessive drinking can indicate a number of health issues such as diabetes or kidney disease. Double check with the vet on the last visit and if blood work was done or not. If it wasn't, it's a good idea to have it done now to get a baseline for future vet visits and potential health issues.

It's good to take the fountain apart and give it a thorough cleaning every so often and change the filter.

Fountains definitely need to be taken apart weekly and thoroughly cleaned and the filter replaced. Otherwise black sludge forms and can be potentially harmful to your cat :barfgreen: And yucky sludgy water can taste bad. Most fountains are dishwasher safe except for the motor part. Hand washing can be done and you will likely need a small brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed all wet and my male cat still loves to drink water twice a day. My previous cat did as well. Some cats just like the social interaction of drinking with someone there to watch them, or are naturally drawn to running water. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are sick.

CherylS, I'm willing to bet that if you stop turning on the tap he will revert to the fountain. You could try it out in the next day or two just to satisfy your concerns. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CherylS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I definitely have a couple things to test out, not sure he'll be a fan but hopefully something will work!

In the 4yrs I've had him, hes always been a drinker, at least once a day. I think part of the faucet thing is he uses it to "scratch" around his face and neck.....then I come in and turn it on....I think he thinks he does it lol!