drinking out of faucet over sink?

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two male cats, Ponce and Doodad, both like to drink water directly from the faucet over the kitchen sink when I have the water running.

That is, they will lap water directly out of the stream running out of the faucet. Actually kind of cute, although I do have to shoo them away on occasion as they are in my way. I used to try to keep them off the kitchen counter but eventually gave up, opting instead for securing all cabinets, food and other things they could get into, and wiping down all surfaces where food is prepared on a regular basis. They do know NOT to get up on the counters when I am preparing food.

Just wondering if anybody else has cats that like to lap water directly from a faucet stream like this.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of my cats USED to do this until I bought them a drinking fountain and now that is what they drink from.
They all love it.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've had cats in the past who enjoyed drinking directly from the faucet. These days I have a fountain, though, and my current crew seems happy with that.

natlay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three of my four love the faucet in the bathroom. They race up the stairs as soon as we start to go up and then they wait on the counter for their turn. Two of them will even drink at the same time. They each take a side and look like they are kissing
I think one of mine drinks out of the faucet almost exclusively.

oregpsnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves to drink out of the bathroom faucet. She has a bubbly bowl she also drinks out of, but the bathroom has been popular lately. Sometimes she also wants to drink out of a dixie cup and I am ashamed to say I give in and hold the dixie cup for her while she drinks from it. I am so well trained.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My roommate's girlfriend's cat will almost exclusively drink from the bathtub faucet. In her old studio apartment, her shower leaked awfully, and that is where she lived when she got her cat. He got so used to sitting under the faucet lapping up water, we had to do that here when he stayed during her move, and she had to continue doing that with her working bathtub in her new place. Cats love running water, sometimes he'll even drinnk so much he'll throw up water afterward. He only does this with the faucet, drinking from a bowl is less voracious.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats used to love to drink from our bathroom faucets until we got new faucets...now those are strange to them and they can't quite figure out what happened!
However, we also got them a Drinkwell Fountain, which all but our senior cat love, love, love, so I don't think they even mind the new faucets. They still jump up in the sink once in awhile when the water is running, but don't really try to drink

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dushka used to but now prefers the fountain. But Milo will drink from the kitchen or bathroom taps - he sits and waits for them to be turned on for him. He likes to play with the water stream as well as drink it. Wellington has done it occasionally, but not often, and I have had other cats with this habit. So it is not unusual. Though be careful he doesn't learn to turn the water on - if it is press-type control -I found the hot water running tap running all night once after Milo operated it.