Dramatic Cystitis Flareups?

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone who manages cystitis in their kitties experienced dramatic flareups? How long did it take to get back to normal? The pet store ran out of all of Miso's regular wet food so I had to get it delivered which means she subsequently had dry food for 2 meals (much to her excitement). Yet she's somehow already experiencing a flareup! I guess we'll have to donate all of her dry food altogether. :stars:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't have a cat with cystitis, but since no one answered I thought I would just pop into bump your thread back up to the top. But I wouldn't think that just two meal of dry would cause this really. Did she continue getting water and DRINKING it? Is her regular food a prescription wet food? (even if so, I just can't imagine that missing two meal of it would bring on a dramatic flare-up) Could something else have also happened to stress her out? You said she actually loved eating the dry food, so it probably wasn't stress induced to have to eat it. I know that would be awfully coincidental, but guess it could happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a cat with cystitis, but since no one answered I thought I would just pop into bump your thread back up to the top. But I wouldn't think that just two meal of dry would cause this really. Did she continue getting water and DRINKING it? Is her regular food a prescription wet food? (even if so, I just can't imagine that missing two meal of it would bring on a dramatic flare-up) Could something else have also happened to stress her out? You said she actually loved eating the dry food, so it probably wasn't stress induced to have to eat it. I know that would be awfully coincidental, but guess it could happen.
Thanks for your reply! She is diagnosed epileptic so her formal diagnosis is idiopathic epilepsy and idiopathic cystitis. Her brain responds to any changes in routine or potential stressors in abnormal ways which can result in bladder irritation. The only thing that changed about her routine was the dry food substitution. I have water bowls and fountains in just about every room in the house that are changed regularly. During her period of not getting wet food I didn't see her drink from her water bowls. Her wet food nor dry food is prescription, but we water down her paté in order to get a substantial amount of water in her diet and that has worked well for the past few months. I just find it so odd that it only took a 24 hour stint to cause a flare up. I guess she's more sensitive than we thought.😖 Regardless she's back on her wet food now and is eating that right up, so hopefully she'll be back to normal soon! Just hate to see her uncomfortable. :(

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone who manages cystitis in their kitties experienced dramatic flareups? How long did it take to get back to normal? The pet store ran out of all of Miso's regular wet food so I had to get it delivered which means she subsequently had dry food for 2 meals (much to her excitement). Yet she's somehow already experiencing a flareup! I guess we'll have to donate all of her dry food altogether. :stars:
My cat had cystitis about 3months ago and had two episodes after the first one in a month , and the vet didn't prescribe any special diet just his usual dry food , his blood work was fine but he had an UTI , with the right course of antibiotics its gone now , maybe ur cat was stressed somehow idk , just watch him closely