Dragging stuff into the litterbox

lilgreenastrid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know why a cat might do this? It's amusing, not annoying, really, but I'm still wondering why. Astrid has dragged plastic bags, pieces of paper, and once even my favorite panties into her litterbox.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are very obsessive about covering their waste...she could be one of these. My Wendel is obsessed  with covering his food. I've seen it covered with laundry, mail, newspapers and once, one of my husband's boots.

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat used to do that all the time too, though she was using my friend's kitchen towels to cover her pan.  I suggested trying a different type of litter as they were using the clay gravel.  Once they switched over to softer clumping litter she stopped doing it.  From what I could tell she just didn't like the pokey gravel litter on her sensitive little paws. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilgreenastrid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats are very obsessive about covering their waste...she could be one of these. My Wendel is obsessed  with covering his food. I've seen it covered with laundry, mail, newspapers and once, one of my husband's boots.
You jinxed it. She's started covering her food bowl with my bedroom doormat and her toy mice. 

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HA!  That is awesome!

My tabby, Xerxes, was one of those cats too.  When I briefly lived with my brother and his (now ex-)wife she had those little potpourri oil warming crocks all over the house.  He hated them with a passion and would try to bury them all the time (so stinky!).  I'll never forget the expression on her face one day when she was doing laundry and found that he had taken several of her favorite panties, carried them to the other end of the house, up the stairs and stuffed them into the pots, all 4 of them.  She was furious, I just hugged him and whispered into his ear what a good boy he was.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I herd cats cover the food or try to bury it because they don't like it or they know its bad etc

and i have no idea why on the cat box :/ my rb zane buffer used to do that and even wanted to use the toilet

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats in the wild bury food to keep it from other predators and to keep their presence a secret.  They bury in the litter box, because it covers up the odor they are trying to hide more efficiently. Remember, every housecat still has a little African Wild Cat in their genes.

heather palmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has been dragging my under wear into her litter box too, but Ihave been away from home for a month and my family is taking care of her for me. Sometimes its cats way of telling you hes angry with you about something, or hes marking his teritory, you. Maybe he needs more attention. Also I am not great about keeping my litter box clean, maybe they need objects to cover their stuff up, i dont know. Its just my guess.

heather palmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so funny! What is it with cats and underwear? I think because it has the most scent of us on them. LOL. Thats super funny about what you cat did.

JRyan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does this as well. I noticed he does it when his litter box is more full than he would desire (also plastic bags) but he also does it when I don't give him fresh water (with ice cubes) in it in the morning. I just assumed it was his way of voicing frustration.